• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

This is probably going to sound stupid, but is it possible for there to be a -NAO block, coupled with a +PNA, that actually holds source cold in NW Canada at bay? Feel free to spank me for a dumb q...
Nah as we get closer there would probably be pieces of N/S energy (clippers as well) diving SE embedded/on top of the PNA ridge which would be the source for cold, especially with phases to boot

I'm punting until Late Jan/Feb... if this is going to be a good 3-4 week winter stint in the SE we will need a step down pattern. Some of the greatest cold/snow Winters down here didn't just happen overnight after a warm 10 day period.. there was a several week step down, with minimal Arctic fronts, that got progressively more powerful. Think this Winter will be like that. I'm as guilty as the next guy about getting impatient. Function is the key, as Fugazi says. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and still happy.

Last edited:
I'm punting until Late Jan/Feb... if this is going to be a good 3-4 winter stint in the SE we will need a step down pattern. Some of the greatest cold/snow Winters down here didn't just happen overnight after a warm 10 day period.. there was a several week step down, with minimal Arctic fronts, that got progressively more powerful. Think this Winter will be like that. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and still happy.
I agree, gradually go from wave after wave that slowly and effectively strengthens the block and filters colder air down then maybe we get that PNA ridge, should be fun to watch

Back