• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Anyone down with some "COD"?
GEFSSE_prec_ptypens_138.png

I hate Miller B’s with the burning passion of a thousand suns. I don’t think it has to do with my location or the fact that the coastal low transfer has ripped my heart out time after time. I think I’m pretty objective here. ?
Worst would be storm disappoint ever for me was a b that had heavy snow warnings out up to the Bama border, had pounded fromTexas all the way to central Ala , then the transfer, and nary a flake on Atl. That was a terrible time, that wretched ice storm, then the Macon bowling ball...and poor Tony sitting on his sled crying :)

From Don Sutherland, over on 33 and Rain:

"Based on the latest guidance, the probability of a significant stratospheric warming event near or just after the start of January has continued to increase. The highest levels of the stratosphere will warm during the closing days of December. The warming will begin to descend during the opening week of January. In addition, the mean zonal wind at 1 mb will likely reverse while the mean zonal winds at 10 mb and 30 mb slacken considerably.

There is a proverbial fly in the ointment. It appears that this warming event could produce a split in the polar vortex. Typically, when the polar vortex splits, Eurasia is favored for cold. Displacement of the polar vortex often favors North America."

I'm not exactly sure what the difference between displacement and split is in this context.

I can’t believe how similar this storm is to the one we just had and now the gfs is basically showing it the same night next week as the one that just rolled through. maybe it’s different as I don’t understand models near as much as most posters on this board. To the untrained eye though it looks very close to this weeks snow.

Back