• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

That's why I say things don't work out like they used to. We see patterns that used to pretty much guarantee us snow here but for some reason now they don't produce nearly as often as those same great patterns did before. It doesn't matter how good the pattern supposedly is if it doesn't produce a good snow storm for most folks that used to get one out of the same pattern in the past.
Maybe because they didn't produce as much as you think. It's easy to pull historic storms and get their patterns and say this is when it snows but if you aren't looking at the times it didn't you are biasing the results

It is relevant if a pattern that is supposedly great for producing snow for most folks doesn't produce. Either the pattern really isn't that great and we can't get those patterns anymore, or for some reason the same pattern that used to give us snow in the past just doesn't produce the same now. Either way it sucks for those that don't get anything out of it, and makes it feel more like a crapshoot than anything now.

This pattern we're talking about ~Jan 20th hasn't verified yet and what we're in now is definitely much worse & still produced snow here. I don't see a problem here

January 7-9 2021 NC Snowmap1.jpg

Clearly, the pattern we're going to is a colder & better one than what we have now which even as crappy as it looks has produced back-to-back winter storms along and south of the 40 corridor. A couple degrees colder than what we have now would have resulted in a major winter storm in the Carolinas on the 8th, and what we're headed towards ~ Jan 20th is more than capable of making things at least a few degrees colder overall than what we're currently seeing.

Now

View attachment 64714

~Jan 20th
View attachment 64713
My contention is that this look will end up looking more like the current map you posted right above, when we get to it, yielding more marginal setups. I'm not saying it's impossible to snow, but if it does, it will be without true arctic air, most likely, and will be the result of dynamic processes or a bombing coastal, as opposed to what the GFS was showing yesterday. And it will favor northern areas yet again. That is the way it looks to me now.

People are just pissed the storm on the 8th didn't produce legit accumulating snow as many (aside from myself) were hoping for in the Carolinas. There's just a bunch of overreacting this morning in here to a pattern that clearly still looks good for a majority of the board, just not near-perfect like we saw several days ago.

I’m a little annoyed about the storm tomorrow, but I was crushed February 2015. Life goes on.

Maybe because they didn't produce as much as you think. It's easy to pull historic storms and get their patterns and say this is when it snows but if you aren't looking at the times it didn't you are biasing the results

It doesn't have to be a historic storm. Just ssying if a pattern is called great for producing snow around here then it should be one that we have seen in the past that more times than not did produce. I don't think it would be a pattern that was called great if that wasn't the case.

I think most people forget just how marginal most of the events were and how perfect timing meant the difference from a storm we all can remember and one that is just another cold day or cold rain.

People also weren't around back then or have looked at enough past storms and patterns to see how many good ones were totally wasted because we only look at and focus on the successes of the past & not the butload of failures that interspersed those eras. The future isn't as grim as most make it out to be and the past tends to be over romanticized.

My contention is that this look will end up looking more like the current map you posted right above, when we get to it, yielding more marginal setups. I'm not saying it's impossible to snow, but if it does, it will be without true arctic air, most likely, and will be the result of dynamic processes or a bombing coastal, as opposed to what the GFS was showing yesterday. That is the way it looks to me now.

This is based on what exactly?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Just saying there is a reason a pattern would be called great. If it didn't produce in the past more often than not then I doubt it would be seen as a great pattern. And if it that pattern starts to not produce like it used to, then something has changed.

It doesn't have to be a historic storm. Just ssying if a pattern is called great for producing snow around here then it should be one that we have seen in the past that more times than not did produce. I don't think it would be a pattern that was called great if that wasn't the case.

We literally just got snow in one of the most marginal setups known to man in a period that wasn't advertised, at least by mets like me, to be one worth watching. I literally said this verbatim about the current period and the storm on the 8th at what seems like ad nauseam and it panned out almost exactly how I said it would. Not sure why anyone seems surprised by this or all of a sudden now feels super pessimistic about what's following because what we've been seeing was supposed to happen, at least according to me.

cP air mass in early-mid January is at best marginally favorable for snow in NC, until the block starts to shift north a bit and we have a few storms under our belt to secure some snow to the north, meh. We gotta do everything right, get a slightly stronger upper trough, then have the heaviest precip arrive during the late overnight/early morning to have any real chance to get accumulating snow out of this and even checking all of these boxes is gonna be difficult.

This of course isn’t to say we can’t see snow before then, the pattern generally looks marginally favorable from about I40 and pts north during the first 10-12 days of the month and arguably really good for the mid Atlantic.
Things just look a lot less marginal the following week or so in January imo

https://southernwx.com/community/threads/january-2021-joyless-january.855/page-67#post-366716

We literally just got snow in one of the most marginal setups known to man in a period that wasn't advertised, at least by mets like me, to be one worth watching. I literally said this verbatim about the current period and the storm on the 8th at what seems like ad nauseam and it panned out almost exactly how I said it would. Not sure why anyone seems surprised by this or all of a sudden now feels super pessimistic about what's following because what we've been seeing was supposed to happen, at least according to me.

https://southernwx.com/community/threads/january-2021-joyless-january.855/page-67#post-366716
The first system wasn’t even supposed to be much lol, I wasn’t expecting nothing for it 4-5 days before it, the fact we scored off of it is impressive, and it’s a warm up imo

The first system wasn’t even supposed to be much lol, I wasn’t expecting nothing for it 4-5 days before it, the fact we scored off of it is impressive, and it’s a warm up imo

Yep. Been saying for weeks now that the Jan 15-25 period is the best looking window & pattern we've had all winter and nothing has happened since I said this to change my mind. It's gonna come down to getting a synoptic luck of the draw but the good pattern will probably verify and early signs are that after Jan 25 this pattern might go to ?.

Back