• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

It is relevant if a pattern that is supposedly great for producing snow for most folks doesn't produce. Either the pattern really isn't that great and we can't get those patterns anymore, or for some reason the same pattern that used to give us snow in the past just doesn't produce the same now. Either way it sucks for those that don't get anything out of it, and makes it feel more like a crapshoot than anything now.
Have to keep telling myself this isn't the 70's and 80's anymore. We got production out of a good pattern then, so it seemed.

Yeah, because a 1-2+ sigma trough on a 5 day GEFS mean is suddenly gonna turn into a ridge like we have now because "experience" and stuff. Right.
This doesn't look like a SE ridge to me. It's the map you posted and what I was referring. I'm saying big dark blues over the SE seem probable to look more like light blues or whites with surface temps in the upper 30s again for most outside of NW zones. We will see.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom_5day-0690400.png

Last edited:
If the webmeister is still in, I'm still in.

At this point, it's gonna come down to just random luck, getting the right waves in the right places at the right time which nobody can predict 2-3 weeks in advance, but the good planetary-scale pattern I've been banking on is basically almost here already & the possible garbage that could ensue thereafter at the very end of the month is starting to appear on the horizon in the models.

Like I said, I haven't seen anything to change my mind, some people just need to step back and take a chill pill.

If we don't get a storm oh well, the good pattern ~Jan 15-25 is pretty much going to happen at this point.

1610294927825.png

1610294874334.png

People also weren't around back then or have looked at enough past storms and patterns to see how many good ones were totally wasted because we only look at and focus on the successes of the past & not the butload of failures that interspersed those eras. The future isn't as grim as most make it out to be and the past tends to be over romanticized.
Hey, the 80's had better music and snow. :)

This doesn't look like a SE ridge to me. It's the map you posted and what I was referring. I'm saying big dark blues over the SE seem probable to look more like light blues or whites with surface temps in the upper 30s again for most outside of NW zones. We will see.

Like I said earlier, you're not basing this on anything really other than speculation guised as experience.

People giving up on a pattern that hasn’t been given the proper time to be evaluated yet ... if ur not excited about the pattern coming up you simply don’t know how weather models like to work. Ur not going to get a pretty day 10 fantasy storm to keep appearing on day 10,9,8,7 and 6 the same way as well. Storms here come slow and u have got to be patient. To think we have this long lasting -NAO like this and you get people complaining about a stinky pattern??? Bruh where were y’all the past 5 years .. now those were ------ winter patterns

Back