• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

One thing I've been seeing semi-consistently across several runs of the GEFS & EPS the last few days is the tendency for lower heights in the Pacific NW and Canadian Rockies in the medium range >>> less +PNA. Not necessarily a bad thing though for an overrunning setup as you want some WSW aloft to get any substantial moisture involved.

1610038775069.png

At this point forward in January, gonna have to start watching these waves riding up & over the ridge near British Columbia. The recent trends in the models towards a shorter west coast ridge in the medium-extended probably helps us a little as these disturbances won't have to dig quite as far south to make something happen down here.

1610039631864.png

Not a bad look at all post 1/15 we start introducing Arctic/polar air and we have a slowly retrograding western ridge axis and some hints of a true -NAO. Initially it's a look that's biased east but over time it becomes a full region look. We probably have about a 15 day window here before we retrograde into a SE ridge unless we just hit the jackpot and it lingers around

I thought the pattern was trending good for southeast snow in January from what I had been hearing on the news? But both storms that had a chance tomorrow and Monday seem to be nothing for upstate sc. Are we gonna have better chances coming up?

I thought the pattern was trending good for southeast snow in January from what I had been hearing on the news? But both storms that had a chance tomorrow and Monday seem to be nothing for upstate sc. Are we gonna have better chances coming up?
This has been addressed in numerous posts this morning

Probably without fans/limited attendance

Ew don't like that. Really wanna see blocking north of Alaska to drive big cold highs into the CONUS. It's a little colder than the pattern we have now but this isn't all that great verbatim. Thankfully just the op Euro run

View attachment 63975
So it’s basically that pattern we’re dealing with now.... great

Back