• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Yes! Cash money. This is about the best we can do. IF this ends up verifying, we have very cold air nearby, very favorable teleconnections, an active pattern, and a pretty favorable longwave trough orientation. I think generally, the biggest issue would be suppression. But I'd way rather risk that and have too much cold than deal with these stupid marginal air masses where the warm nose runs up to the moon and where the frozen/liquid demarcation zone runs NW from the extreme upstate through west-central VA.

So who will be right...
5ec82a892e511802c16bf1dae22f9012.jpg

5c96a1313540f0f707c8ffb9fe6f5d5c.jpg

70d99b2fb2b23d924e4753f16f3e9bc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Cash money. This is about the best we can do. IF this ends up verifying, we have very cold air nearby, very favorable teleconnections, an active pattern, and a pretty favorable longwave trough orientation. I think generally, the biggest issue would be suppression. But I'd way rather risk that and have too much cold than deal with these stupid marginal air masses where the warm nose runs up to the moon and where the frozen/liquid demarcation zone runs NW from the extreme upstate through west-central VA.
I love clippers, more than you NC peeps

This shortwave looked not half bad around hour 180 on the GFS, but that northern stream orientation is the exact opposite of what we want. The big trough over the midwest + ridge over the NE broadly supports ascent and lowering surface pressures in-between, and the shortwave adds to that by creating an even more diffluent flow (look at how the contours fan out over the Lakes region). In other words, this looks like a setup for a Great Lakes low instead of a banana high.
1609994670020.png

1609994889335.png

Back