• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

I think our local meteorologist are being very consevarive almost a joke
I agree with them. No reason to say a whole lot about it, they have no idea what will happen yet. Its still six days out and while the pattern is great, we should manage our expectations. Its still the south, and we could get rain, or even flurries while watching those to our south get buried.

I agree with them. No reason to say a whole lot about it, they have no idea what will happen yet. Its still six days out and while the pattern is great, we should manage our expectations. Its still the south, and we could get rain, or even flurries while watching those to our south get buried.
I was talking about thursday night nam is showing snow here and they hardly eanna mention we will see a flake

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_48.png
Actually a good sign that this is south this far out

What is the date for the end of the run? Everyone seems to be focused on the Friday and Saturday threat right now. No one is talking much about the Monday threat.
There's a thread for it

End of the 6z GFS from this morning, but this would be the most beautiful snow I could ever ask for. 1609861542693.png

Mid 20's with no fear of the warm nose, Lift all through the DGZ... This would probably be greater that 10:1 ratio. Like dream snow folks, the stuff of legends.

Ok sorry, i'll put my weenie cap away again.

Would be historic here. I don’t know how long it’s been since Central AL had two 6-8” snows a week or so a part.

Quite possibly you’d have to go all of the way back to the middle of Feb of 1895 to find the last time C AL had two widespread 6-8” snows within a week of each other! That also was the only time on record KATL had two major snows within an entire winter. But that was during a much colder period than the upcoming. It was absolutely frigid during that coldest Feb on record.

Last edited:
To @NoSnowATL and anyone else who may think Maxar “hates cold” (lol), check this out from this morning:

“Changing Pacific Supports Colder Pattern
The 11-15 Day features a pattern in transition, as the +PNA wanes and ridging becomes more focused over the eastern Pacific. This is a more typical pattern for La Niña, yielding some colder trends across the Mid-Continent and South in the latter part of the period. Among recent La Niñas are two winters with Arctic blocking and a similar overall pattern as is projected late in the 11-15 Day period. They suggest increased cold support associated with the pattern. Our 16-20 Day forecast reflects this. The risk is that the transition to colder occurs more quickly than is forecast. -BH”

Maxar is citing winters of 2000-1 and 2010-11 here because they both had high latitude type blocking.

To @NoSnowATL and anyone else who may think Maxar “hates cold” (lol), check this out from this morning:

“Changing Pacific Supports Colder Pattern
The 11-15 Day features a pattern in transition, as the +PNA wanes and ridging becomes more focused over the eastern Pacific. This is a more typical pattern for La Niña, yielding some colder trends across the Mid-Continent and South in the latter part of the period. Among recent La Niñas are two winters with Arctic blocking and a similar overall pattern as is projected late in the 11-15 Day period. They suggest increased cold support associated with the pattern. Our 16-20 Day forecast reflects this. The risk is that the transition to colder occurs more quickly than is forecast. -BH”

Maxar is citing winters of 2000-1 and 2010-11 here because they both had high latitude type blocking.
Fake news

Back