• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Pattern Loaded...
gfs_asnow_seus_65.png

That would be a winter for the ages here. We haven't had anything like that in decades.

Yeah we could, something like January 88 may be on the table if we take full advantage of this pattern

January 1988 isn't a horrible analog at 500mb, deep troughs sliding underneath a weak west-based -NAO block coupled w/ -EPO trying to dislodge the polar vortex over the Canadian Archipelago close to peak climo. This year's pattern honestly looks better than Jan 88 w/ a stronger -NAO & -AO to boot

View attachment 62960
I would love to experience a storm like January 1988 again. 18 hours of snowfall, mostly during the daytime, piling up to a foot of powder and temperatures in the upper teens. I was too young at the time to appreciate just how rare that was.

Not to brag, but I had 3 opportunities plus this weeks trip to chase this year. Normally i dont chase this much but PTO days are good to have. It would be wonderful to chase this week and come home back to Bama to another snowstorm
I haven’t chase yet but if this storm down south where you guys at keeps showing up throughout the week im definitely snow chasing back to home to Tuscaloosa

Meteorologist in north Alabama not optimistic on snowfall :(
NWS Huntsville in their morning discussion is just saying uncertainty for the Monday event is significant right now and not much else. They do mention the snow possibility Thursday night.

Here a nice Link to have Booked marked in your web browser if it is not already as we get closer to the different potential events. Just zoom in to you particular backyard and click the closest reporting station. This is for day before or day of event. Not sure how accurate it is but fun to play with...

NWS Huntsville in their morning discussion is just saying uncertainty for the Monday event is significant right now and not much else. They do mention the snow possibility Thursday night.
I think our local meteorologist are being very consevarive almost a joke

Central Alabama is looking good with this run
View attachment 62913
Verbatim, this track looks fantastic but notice the low outruns its high pressure and pulls it down on the back side and keeps stuff primarily rain in GA and SC. We don't want THIS to happen. Need that high staying more in tandem keeping the cold feed.

Back