• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

ATL top snowfall composite v/s what EPS/GEFS spitting out.

View attachment 62951View attachment 62949View attachment 62950

The forecasted pattern is actually even better than the composite of big ATL snows lol.

That's arguably the best hemispheric z500 I've ever seen for snow down here, not sure how anyone could look at that and given this anything less than a 9 out of 10 in terms of planetary-scale favorability. I can't recall many times we have seen a -EPO, -WPO, west-based -NAO, +PNA, & legit -AO all simultaneously, esp in the heart of our climo for cold/snow.

Meteorologist in north Alabama not optimistic on snowfall :(

Why has the GEFS had so many less snowy solutions compared to the EPS. Is this it’s warm bias at this range? It’s just crazy because we’ve seen several op runs consecutively now supportive of snow and the EPS has been honking fairly well the last 2 days FF3165C4-9A49-4B4C-BCCB-61115215A162.png

The forecasted pattern is actually even better than the composite of big ATL snows lol.

That's arguably the best hemispheric z500 I've ever seen for snow down here, not sure how anyone could look at that and given this anything less than a 9 out of 10 in terms of planetary-scale favorability. I can't recall many times we have seen a -EPO, -WPO, west-based -NAO, +PNA, & legit -AO all simultaneously, esp in the heart of our climo for cold/snow.

Planetary-scale favorability index. 9/10. Man that might be a 10/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on how the storm affecting NC has eeked south and how much similarities there are to 2/12-14/10 and the look of last nights Euro, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this one eek south as well. If anyone remembers tracking 2/12/10, it did the same and had it not been for the very expansive precip shield, many of us would have been skunked.

May be a case where most of us get the 1-3”, which would be nice if we weren’t watching well south of us get 5-10”.

Pattern Loaded...
gfs_asnow_seus_65.png

The pattern ~Jan 20 on both the GEFS & EPS is honestly nothing short of legendary.

Like 2013-14, we're starting to see a legit -EPO push into the arctic that's forcing the tropospheric polar vortex over the Canadian Archipelago towards south-central Canada, but like 2009-10/2010-11, we have a very strong/persistent -AO/west-based -NAO thanks to a major mid-winter SSWE. And to top it off we're doing all this during peak winter climo!

It's so rare to see us get the best both worlds, but it actually looks like that might be the case here in late January.

Knowing what might be coming around the corner, my hype levels are thru the roof right now.

Anything we get prior to mid-month looks like a bonus.

View attachment 62946

View attachment 62942
Not to jinx this, but if we can lay down a snow pack before mid month, perhaps we could actually be headed towards one of those oh-so-rare "cold snow" events where surface temps are unusually cold?

Some food for thought not just for this winter but into next summer & perhaps even the following winter. This winter's -NAO enhanced by SSWE is contributing to a warmer tropical Atlantic which significantly boosts our odds of another nasty hurricane season in 2021 & La Nina for next winter. The linked paper in my tweet has more on the inter-basin relationships w/ ENSO

Not to jinx this, but if we can lay down a snow pack before mid month, perhaps we could actually be headed towards one of those oh-so-rare "cold snow" events where surface temps are unusually cold?

Yeah we could, something like January 88 may be on the table if we take full advantage of this pattern

January 1988 isn't a horrible analog at 500mb, deep troughs sliding underneath a weak west-based -NAO block coupled w/ -EPO trying to dislodge the polar vortex over the Canadian Archipelago close to peak climo. This year's pattern honestly looks better than Jan 88 w/ a stronger -NAO & -AO to boot

1609852743965.png

Some food for thought not just for this winter but into next summer & perhaps even the following winter. This winter's -NAO enhanced by SSWE is contributing to a warmer tropical Atlantic which significantly boosts our odds of another nasty hurricane season in 2021 & La Nina for next winter. The linked paper in my tweet has more on the inter-basin relationships w/ ENSO

Oh yeah we will pay dearly for this.

Oh yeah we will pay dearly for this.

This ASO SSTa trend on the CANSIPS leaves a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. The SSWE and stronger -NAO this winter starts off the tropical Atlantic much warmer going into the following spring & given how every season of late has warmed precipitously between spring & summer thanks to the strong W African Monsoon, it legitimately worries me what could happen this year if we see a similar trend except start out much warmer this time around.

cansips_sstaMean_noice_month_atl_fh9_trend.gif

Back