• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

d9bd251bda78214b60bb23bc4d5cfba9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+EPO/-NAOs like this one in January usually favor continuation of the pattern we've already seen thus far in December w/ warmth across the north & seasonable-slightly below average temps overall in the southern US, although they'll be a heightened risk for east coast cyclones this time around. Despite a few warmer looking model runs, I can tell you for sure that we're definitely not gonna torch w/ a legit west-based -NAO but we also aren't going to be super cold either w/ the +EPO hanging around.

I'd personally go w/ 0 to -1C temps overall in early January in the SE US, which is pretty cold in the context of the last decade or so.

1608751349087.png

1608751436421.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 2.05.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 2.06.05 PM.png

+EPO/-NAOs like this one in January usually favor continuation of the pattern we've already seen thus far in December w/ warmth across the north & seasonable-slightly below average temps overall in the southern US, although they'll be a heightened risk for east coast cyclones this time around. Despite a few warmer looking model runs, I can tell you for sure that we're definitely not gonna torch w/ a legit west-based -NAO but we also aren't going to be super cold either w/ the +EPO hanging around.

I'd personally go w/ 0 to -1C temps overall in early January in the SE US, which is pretty cold in the context of the last decade or so.

View attachment 59679

View attachment 59680

View attachment 59683

View attachment 59681

So much for canonical La Nina

View attachment 59679

View attachment 59680

View attachment 59683

View attachment 59681
No torch but no snow either. I'm probably a minority saying this, but I hate this pattern just as much as a -PNA +NAO pattern. Cold is useless without snow.

No torch but no snow either. I'm probably a minority saying this, but I hate this pattern just as much as a -PNA +NAO pattern. Cold is useless without snow.

I wouldn't say no snow, this pattern can definitely produce snow/ice in the middle of winter if you're north of I-20. It's definitely a good look for us in the Carolinas & pts north on the eastern seaboard.

This is what the precip looks like in those Januarys w/ +EPO/-NAO btw, you can see the evidence of increased coastal low activity w/ swath of positive precip anomalies extending from the Gulf coast to off the Carolina coast.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 2.46.32 PM.png

Yeah, I guess we'll see. And I know this is just anecdotal, but I don't think normal or a tick below normal is going to bring the majority of the SE a winter storm. In my experience we need some cold arctic air, or we rain. I want to see the 850 line in Columbia, SC to feel good about my chances. Love the -NAO showing up, but I'd really like to see that pacific low retrograde west.

Yeah, I guess we'll see. And I know this is just anecdotal, but I don't think normal or a tick below normal is going to bring the majority of the SE a winter storm. In my experience we need some cold arctic air, or we rain. I want to see the 850 line in Columbia, SC to feel good about my chances. Love the -NAO showing up, but I'd really like to see that pacific low retrograde west.
I know we all want to see Arctic air in the picture when talking about winter storms, but Webb is correct that it’s not requirement, especially for those north of I-20. Late January and into February 2010 was a great example of that and the storms we saw then started a couple weeks after our coldest average temps. Heck even the February 2004 storm occurred with a -PNA and that the biggest snowstorm I’ve personally experienced.

Back