• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

This is the composite of January-Februarys that had SSWE events in late Dec or January and had a tropospheric pattern in the 3 weeks leading up to the SSWE that closely resembles what this year looks like (+WPO/+EPO/-NAO/+SCAND). This year's SSWE analogs are very NINO-heavy as you'd probably expect given the aforementioned info in this thread.

1608741418268.png

This is the composite of January-Februarys that had SSWE events in late Dec or January and had a tropospheric pattern in the 3 weeks leading up to the SSWE that closely resembles what this year looks like (+WPO/+EPO/-NAO/+SCAND). This year's SSWE analogs are very NINO-heavy as you'd probably expect given the aforementioned info in this thread.

View attachment 59641
With a look like that, I hope it just comes down to being patient and that snow will come.

This pattern is definitely fine despite the +EPO. Even modest, continental polar air masses can easily get the job done in early January.

View attachment 59654
Yeah and while -EPO blocks can bring vodka cold, I hate them nowadays for there tendency to bring the southeast ridge out of the dead, at least with this look, the southeast ridge is shut down

I was really excited last night about the 0Z GEFS for the model showing a cold early January. But unfortunately for cold lovers, the 12Z is significantly warmer than the 0Z in early January. :( Hoping this is just a burp.

I was really excited last night about the 0Z GEFS for the model showing a cold early January. But unfortunately for cold lovers, the 12Z is significantly warmer than the 0Z in early January. :(

This pattern bears some similarities to the one in early December except there's a big -NAO now and the center of the ridge is further north (which favors more cold this time). Most models if you remember showed a torch then & struggled to produce significantly BN temp anomalies until that early Dec pattern was close to the medium-range. I'm not concerned.

I was really excited last night about the 0Z GEFS for the model showing a cold early January. But unfortunately for cold lovers, the 12Z is significantly warmer than the 0Z in early January. :( Hoping this is just a burp.
I mean it will bounce around, but the overall pattern on the GEFS still supports cold

This is honestly a pretty classic Miller A signal on the GEFS in early January w/ west-based -NAO, +PNA, & a trough in the means near the MS-TN river Valley.

The question is how suppressed the actual storm is.

View attachment 59658
That does look ideal for a Miller A southern slider. Let's hope we can dial one or two in.

This is honestly a pretty classic Miller A signal on the GEFS in early January w/ west-based -NAO, +PNA, & a trough in the means near the MS-TN river Valley.

The question is how suppressed the actual storm is.

View attachment 59658
Been 32 years since we had a good Miller A, were due! ?

Back