• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Folks,
We are about to experience what is almost definitely going to end up being a once in a lifetime bad for cold weather index trifecta during 1/12-14:

- MJO phase 5 peak near the high 3s around 1/12. That would easily be the 2nd strongest on record in winter back to 1975! The only phase 4/5 winter peak higher than the low 3s since 1975 was the low 4s that was way back in Feb of 1985!

- +AO peak near +4.4 on ~1/13. A +4.4 has been exceeded in only 12 winters since 1950. There have only been two winters since 2008-9 having this including the last time having occurred 12/21-2/2016.

- -PNA of ~-2: a sub -2 has occurred in only 8 winters since 1950 with only 3 winters of the last 50 and only 1 winter of the last 25. The last time was way back on 12/20-1/2010!

- No entire winter since the MJO data started in 1975 had all of these 3 happen, much less within only a 3 day period

- SouthernWx will offer free emotional support during 1/12-14 for anyone who feels they can’t handle this historic combo

"Thoughts On The 11-15 Day Period And The MJO

Models are in agreement with the presence of a strong stratospheric polar vortex (SPV) over the next 15+ days, and this discussion on the tropical forcing has this consideration. The MJO is a wave of clouds, storms, wind and pressure that traverses the global tropics. It is influential in the warm pattern forecast in the next 5-7 Days across the South and East in its propagation through phase 5. By the 11-15 Day period, the models show diverging solutions, with the GFS EN projecting a strong push into phase 7 while the Euro projects a less coherent signal going to neutral. The maps on left illustrate how this difference in the MJO is contributing to the diverging model solutions with the pattern evolution during the period.In past seasons, the GFS EN has shown a bias to be too strong through Pacific phases, while the Euro EN has carried the opposite risk in being too weak. As such, the forecast assumes the MJO will remain a coherent signal as it propagates into phase 7 during the 11-15 Day period. The maps below (Green & Furtado, 2019) are temperature composites for cases reflected in the models during the 11-15 Day period. The forecast most closely resembles the case when the MJO moves into phase 7, with aboves in the South and belows confined to the northern tier. The second case is similar to the Euro, with a weaker MJO supporting a colder forecast risk in the East." from Maxar this morning

Folks,
We are about to experience what is almost definitely going to end up being a once in a lifetime bad for cold weather index trifecta during 1/12-14:

- MJO phase 5 peak near the high 3s around 1/12. That would easily be the 2nd strongest on record in winter back to 1975! The only phase 4/5 winter peak higher than the low 3s since 1975 was the low 4s that was way back in Feb of 1985!

- +AO peak near +4.4 on ~1/13. A +4.4 has been exceeded in only 12 winters since 1950. There have only been two winters since 2008-9 having this including the last time having occurred 12/21-2/2016.

- -PNA of ~-2: a sub -2 has occurred in only 8 winters since 1950 with only 3 winters of the last 50 and only 1 winter of the last 25. The last time was way back on 12/20-1/2010!

- No entire winter since the MJO data started in 1975 had all of these 3 happen, much less within only a 3 day period

- SouthernWx will offer free emotional support during 1/12-14 for anyone who feels they can’t handle this historic combo

At least the rain will keep it from feeling like 85°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weaker Euro MJO would be more favorable for SE cold than the strong phase 7 forecast of the GEFS per Maxar, which matches my own analysis: per biases, it will likely end up in between:

GEFS:
1578673949436.png

EPS:
1578674021649.png

The weaker Euro MJO would be more favorable for SE cold than the strong phase 7 forecast of the GEFS per Maxar, which matches my own analysis: per biases, it will likely end up in between:

GEFS:
View attachment 30149

EPS:
View attachment 30150
Euro ensembles looks very widspread and do have a lot of members deep into phase 7 and a lot even propelling into 8-1

Folks,

If the forecast is right ( and it is cause it is for a torch ) my overnight low Sat night will be 15 warmer than my average high for that date and a staggering +33 above the average low.....in fact for the next week the NWS does not forecast a single period where the temp is lower than my average daily high for this week.....so if that is right MBY will spend a entire week without ever getting colder than what the average HIGH is for this time of year. However if the payoff is 2-4 weeks of legit winter with snow I say bring it.

Well not a weenie run by any means but that’s okay the potential is still there and again plenty of factors that can wiggle this far out that would still produce a big time storm hopefully GEFS holds serve

Ain’t that a kick in the nuts

my ensemble snow mean got above 5” three times last year and I saw nothing all three times. Ensemble snow means are generally ?
That was last year let’s not reminisce in the past .. looking forward high snow means GENERALLY mean that it’s eyeing some mischief possibility coming our way that’s what we need to focus on .. hoping 12z gefs at least a has a good snow mean although I’m sure it won’t be as high

no crazy fantasy storm but the cold is still there which is all that matters right now. That reinforced shot looks quicker also.

There is not going to be a god-tier run with a mega fantasy storm every run. The cold is still there, stick to ensembles.. don't get caught up in run-to-run variability. Pretty much everyone here knows this but it has to be reminded so we don't get to into our emotions about ops lol....

Henry Margusity calls this the model cha cha cha. They’ll dance around but may ultimately go back to an earlier solution. Gonna have to watch it evolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12z GEFS is pretty interesting on winter possibilities, although it's out in fantasy land. There are going to be some huge members that skew the mean though (especially if you include the ice).

Edit: As soon as I can I'll be interested in how the heights map looks.

Edit2: Lol at the member that places ice as far south as the middle of Florida.

12z GEFS is pretty interesting on winter possibilities, although it's out in fantasy land. There are going to be some huge members that skew the mean though (especially if you include the ice).

Edit: As soon as I can I'll be interested in how the heights map looks.

Edit2: Lol at the member that places ice as far south as the middle of Florida.
Actually it looks like a decent amount of members showed a good ice or snow event skewing the mean would probably be if only 2 big ensembles had massive snow or ice storms but there was probably a good 10+ with fairly good events

My gefs ens says, look at me and forget the OP. Snowy/Icy solutions starting just after the 240ish and that is not way out in fantasy land

Back