• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Man that look next week on the GFS is just about textbook for central Alabama. Sure would like to see it trend upwards

You could always rent a cabin or hotel room on Mt. Cheaha. They might be able to gets some flakes out of it...

Please stop trolling. If you can look at the forecast for Atlanta, you can look at the models. We discuss them everyday.
Not sure i f he is really trolling pack... cause the 12z gfs only has Memphis down to below freezing one time in the next 10 days up coming ... and that’s at 31.... just saying

Not sure i f he is really trolling pack... cause the 12z gfs only has Memphis down to below freezing one time in the next 10 days up coming ... and that’s at 31.... just saying
Its trolling when other models have it below freezing and instead of looking you make a broad brush incorrect statement

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I understand. However, after 3 years and 5,000 posts here, someone knows whether the cold air disappeared or not. At the very least, it should be in the Whamby thread.

Meh... maybe the Euro throws us a bone today. Isn't that how it works, one model loses it then the other picks it up and so forth and so on... ;)

View attachment 29366
Clearly the best chance for snow will be in the mountains, TN, and perhaps northern AL and GA but I don’t think the lack of snowfall output (which is based on p type algorithms that will struggle in a setup like this) on the GEFS or EPS members in SC or NC means that we can’t see some rain/snow showers this weekend. I think some scattered rain/snow showers are legitimately possible given the potential intensity of this upper trough and how shallow the melting layer will be near the surface even in parts of the Carolinas, despite the apparent lack of NWP support on p type algorithms & snow output.

Clearly the best chance for snow will be in the mountains, TN, and perhaps northern AL and GA but I don’t think the lack of snowfall output (which is based on p type algorithms that will struggle in a setup like this) on the GEFS or EPS members in SC or NC means that we can’t see some rain/snow showers this weekend. I think some scattered rain/snow showers are legitimately possible given the potential intensity of this upper trough and how shallow the melting layer will be near the surface even in parts of the Carolinas, despite the apparent lack of NWP support on p type algorithms & snow output.
Looks Convective aswell with steep lapse rates and weak instability , which will probably aid in heavier rates which cools the BL

Last edited:
Back