• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Looks like same ole same ole headed into lat Jan early Feb.
5881084aae35b289f63f0cea9ba74884.jpg
076d94886da2c5d63605ced115155b0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This largely agrees with the ensemble means, especially after bias correction. However, before then we have the next 3 or so days of solid BN followed per ensemble means by only a mild day or two ~1/24 and then followed by a period averaging near to BN 1/25-8 with solid BN for the deep south, especially for folks like @pcbjr (though not to the current degree of cold).

My company is. He said that he was going to bust on the cold temps but thought the mid-atlantic and North cold still sneak in a couple of storms but the heaviest amounts would be inland away for the major cities. He thinks it will be cooler by a degree or so in the SE for the next 3-4 weeks (mainly due to lower daytime highs because of rain) but with the cold being scoured out of Canada, not likely we will see any true cold air for a while

The better late than never comment was concerning the lateness of the Saturday Summary, not the cold air
I have followed JB for over 30 years. He basically threw in the towel today for everything below mid Atlantic. He has been hinting around it for a week now. The towel is waving in his hand and about to be thrown. He busted just like most all others have as well the past 2 years

January to date is running top 10 warmest for most on the board thus far. The more seasonable temps forecast in the second half of the month should knock some of the punch out of this warm anomaly but still be very impressive.

View attachment 31560
This has been outright pathetic, but I would hate to experience #1 and hope I never have to. Unless I already have and just don’t know it..

This has been outright pathetic, but I would hate to experience #1 and hope I never have to. Unless I already have and just don’t know it..

Yeah we haven't (yet). January 1950 & 1974 hold the records as the warmest Januarys in North & South Carolina respectively.

The winter of 1949-50 was very forgettable, while 1973-74 was a classic bookend winter with big storms in December & late march, little in between.

December 16-17 1973 NC Snowmap.png

March 25-26 1974 NC Snowmap.png

Wow! January 2011 was some fluffy powder for these parts. Before it changed to light zr at the very end I can recall blowing the snow around like this with my belly wind ?
January 2003 was the fluffiest I can remember. KCLT officially had 8.5 inches with only about .25 of liquid.

I’m genuinely intrigued by the pacific reshuffle that may take place towards the end of the first/beginning of the second week in February. I think we get one more legitimate shot at something before we enter March 77227481-6710-4E15-9FE6-6717F6A79FAA.gif

Surprised this wasn’t posted. The weenies need to see this View attachment 31566
The ridge that ends up building itself out in the west will be our saving grace .. if we get it ...I think we’re going to be headed for a period we’re we will indeed hit this point as some models have been alluding to

I’m genuinely intrigued by the pacific reshuffle that may take place towards the end of the first/beginning of the second week in February. I think we get one more legitimate shot at something before we enter March View attachment 31569
It’s literally the only thing that doesn’t look out of reach at this point

The paper is behind a paywall, but this is a nice article posted today on some research dealing with North American cold and the Polar Vortex https://t.co/cc32KL89vr?amp=1

"Evidently, the Arctic High regime is strongly sensitive to the strength of the stratospheric winds, being 7 times more likely following a weak vortex versus a strong vortex. The Arctic Low regime displays the opposite sensitivity, being more likely following a strong vortex."

"A similar but weaker relationship is found for the Pacific Trough. The Alaskan Ridge regime, however, does not display a sensitivity to the vortex strength. This result was somewhat surprising as the Alaskan Ridge regime resembles a pattern which became known as a “polar vortex outbreak”,"

"Our results therefore suggest that the strength of the stratospheric polar vortex does not change the likelihood of the circulation pattern with the greatest potential for driving extreme cold weather in North America (in stark contrast to Europe), and that prediction of this pattern should look elsewhere – either to the tropics, or to changes in the shape of the stratospheric vortex – including wave reflection events "

CLIFF NOTES: Just because the Strat PV is "strong" doesn't mean cold outbreaks (and DEEP cold outbreaks) can't happen. This research shows there are other drivers, such as the tropics, that are responsible for the coldest regime (-EPO) for North American cold outbreaks. It does however, confirm, that high latitude blocking is much more likely to follow weak PV, which makes sense.

regimes_z_500_boot_4.jpg
grl59964-fig-0005-m.jpg

Needs to shove a bit more north, but not a bad look for now ... let's see what 1.5 to 2 weeks from now show before making it the only possible good look ...
Welp, -NAO in March is all but a given. AO doesn’t want to cooperate. -EPO is an illusion..what else we got for February, Phil?! SER?

This Iowa State Meteogram site literally has everything. Month & season to date climate division (estimate) maps, station, climate division and statewide daily snow depth data, not to mention it also has percent cover of snow of at least "x" threshold going back to 1893.

network_NCCLIMATE__station_NC0000__syear_1893__eyear_2019__dpi_100.png

Areal snow cover percent of at least 0.1" of snow for the winter of 1935-36 for instance:
1579569473057.png

This Iowa State Meteogram site literally has everything. Month & season to date climate division (estimate) maps, station, climate division and statewide daily snow depth data, not to mention it also has percent cover of snow of at least "x" threshold going back to 1893.

View attachment 31572

Areal snow cover percent of at least 0.1" of snow for the winter of 1935-36 for instance:
View attachment 31573

Also, ever wondered how frequently your location was warmer than another? You can answer that too on this site.

Greensboro is warmer than Raleigh only ~15% of the time, w/ this percentage varying according to the season.

network1_NCCLIMATE__station1_NC3630__network2_NCCLIMATE__station2_NC7069__pvar_avgt__mag_1__dp...png

Charlotte vs Columbia:

network1_NCCLIMATE__station1_NC1690__network2_SCCLIMATE__station2_SC1939__pvar_avgt__mag_1__dp...png

Atlanta vs Birmingham. Atlanta is warmer only about a third of the time.

network1_GACLIMATE__station1_GA0451__network2_ALCLIMATE__station2_AL0831__pvar_avgt__mag_1__dp...png

Back