• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Also, ever wondered how frequently your location was warmer than another? You can answer that too on this site.

Atlanta vs Birmingham. Atlanta is warmer only about a third of the time

Much of the reason for that is that Atlanta is 400 feet higher. Otherwise, it would be a lot more than 1/3 of the time because KATL is so much warmer than surrounding areas for lows on radiational cooling nights. They are the anti-Gainesville as far as radiation is concerned.

Last edited:
Much of the reason for that is that Atlanta is 400 feet higher. Otherwise, it would be a lot more than 1/3 of the time because KATL is so much warmer than surrounding areas for lows on radiational cooling nights. They are the anti-Gainesville as far as radiation is concerned.

I would have never thought elevation versus amount of asphalt/people/cars.

Also, ever wondered how frequently your location was warmer than another? You can answer that too on this site.

Greensboro is warmer than Raleigh only ~15% of the time, w/ this percentage varying according to the season.

View attachment 31574

Charlotte vs Columbia:

View attachment 31575

Atlanta vs Birmingham. Atlanta is warmer only about a third of the time.

View attachment 31576

Last one, I promise.
Daily snow depth analyses going back to 1893.

February 11, 1973:
csector_conus__var_snowd_12z__ptype_g__date_1973-02-11__cmap_BuPu__dpi_100.png

March 11, 1960:
csector_conus__var_snowd_12z__ptype_g__date_1960-03-10__cmap_BuPu__dpi_100.png

January 9, 1988:

csector_conus__var_snowd_12z__ptype_g__date_1988-01-09__cmap_BuPu__dpi_100.png

I would have never thought elevation versus amount of asphalt/people/cars.

I’m saying that what’s keeping KATL from being warmer than Birmingham (by one degree) more than 1/3 of the time is that KATL is 400 feet higher. That can cool things off a couple of degrees vs if it were the same elevation as Birmingham.

I’m saying that what’s keeping KATL from being warmer than Birmingham (by one degree) more than 1/3 of the time is that KATL is 400 feet higher. That can cool things off a couple of degrees vs if it were the same elevation as Birmingham.
Plus wedges are always stronger temp wise in ATL compared to bham.

No wonder March of 1960 was so cold and snowy. Look at the expansive snow cover to our north and north-east. Didn't realize that there was that much snow on the ground up there. CAO's didn't have a chance to modify before reaching us.

March 1960 looks like ?

Yeah 1959-60 really turned it on in late February right on thru mid March.

You can see it for yourselves here:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/p...=g&date=1960/02/23&cmap=BuPu&dpi=100&_fmt=png

Isn't it bad if everything north is warm?

The above normal anomalies to our north are a result of mild, Pacific air flooding south-central Canada. Source regions for cold air in the arctic become warm(er) when the initial air mass moves out & is usually replaced by a warmer one that's usually from the south (simply because near the north pole, almost any wind (and thus advection of air masses) is from the south which is a warm wind (minus when an air mass is being transported from Siberia)). The fact that these warmer anomalies are closer to us is the only qualm with this, however even well above normal in the northern US & south-central Canada at this time of the year is cold enough to produce snow in the upper south if those air masses get advected our way

Back