• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Interestingly enough, the EPS run looks extremely similar to late November, Early December 2018 (Timeframe where we got our December storm). Sure I'm cherry-picking a couple of maps, but almost identical look if we were to raise the height over Canada. To be clear the 2 maps from 2018 are not the same forecast period from two different models.
ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-0169600.pngBCDCE723-3DC6-4AA5-849F-1D898AA90273.png040B5490-6847-4991-9EFF-C9AF3F55B133.png

Not getting the trends we want out of this first system. EPS support really falling off and that's a very bleak sign.

But models are still spitting out a wide range of scenarios so there is still some significant wiggle room left.
The JMA is the closest I've seen to a monster but still its just too far offshore.

If there is a significant shift in the works we would likely see it in the next 24-36 hrs. Our energy is dropping down in the 120-144 timeframe so we should start to see some consistency run-to-run over the next few runs. Its in this 100-140 timeframe we usually see our significant trends if they occur. Of course they can happen up to hour 0 as well.

In my opinion this is becoming a long shot but its still totally a wintry threat.
At least it will feel like winter. 50s and 60s in the mountains is not winter lol.

View attachment 31041

As an east of I95 poster I am right where I want to be. Zero expectations of anything happening with only improvements and a NW trend that can help me rather than kill my chances. It's close and like you said once the energy starts getting sampled and better handled we can still see changes.

As an east of I95 poster I am right where I want to be. Zero expectations of anything happening with only improvements and a NW trend that can help me rather than kill my chances. It's close and like you said once the energy starts getting sampled and better handled we can still see changes.

Oh yeah it’s definitely still a real threat! Especially for Eastern NC and down into SC. But it’s nearing crunch time when you really want to see some positive trends.

If anything it looks like we’re going to have a transient warm up more than a transient cool down it’s staying cool just a blip of warmth showing up

I'd much appreciate it if you would forward that to CPC, pronto ... they seemingly have given up today (SMH) ... so much so I'll not even post their maps ... ;)

From their accompanying disco:
'The ECMWF ensemble mean amplifies an upper-level trough over the Southwest, which results in an increase in 500-hPa heights across the Southeast and a warming trend after below normal temperatures on days 6 and 7."

"Since there are signs that the period of below normal temperatures may be short-lived, a two class change in the temperature outlook from yesterday was necessary for parts of the eastern
CONUS.
The Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) recently strengthened, with its enhanced phase shifting east across the West Pacific. Lagged composites from this center of enhanced convection would tend to favor persistence of below normal temperatures across the central and eastern U.S. through Week-2. Since this MJO influence on the temperature pattern differs from the ECMWF model trend, forecast confidence is low in the temperatures outlook east of the Rockies. Below normal temperatures are most likely across the western Gulf Coast and lower Mississippi Valley due to an amplifying trough aloft. Increased chances of above normal temperatures across the Great Lakes and Northeast are consistent with the positive 500-hPa height anomalies over Canada, while Pacific flow favors above normal temperatures along the West Coast."

"The official 8-14 day 500-hPa height blend consists of: 40% of Today's 6z GFS Ensemble Mean centered on Day 11, and 60% of Today's 0z European Ensemble Mean centered on Day 11"

Note below how warm is the day 11 0Z Euro (12Z Euro similar)! The models, especially Euro ens, have warmed considerably since yesterday morning:

1579126272460.png

1579126314455.png

From their accompanying disco:
'The ECMWF ensemble mean amplifies an upper-level trough over the Southwest, which results in an increase in 500-hPa heights across the Southeast and a warming trend after below normal temperatures on days 6 and 7."

"Since there are signs that the period of below normal temperatures may be short-lived, a two class change in the temperature outlook from yesterday was necessary for parts of the eastern
CONUS.
The Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) recently strengthened, with its enhanced phase shifting east across the West Pacific. Lagged composites from this center of enhanced convection would tend to favor persistence of below normal temperatures across the central and eastern U.S. through Week-2. Since this MJO influence on the temperature pattern differs from the ECMWF model trend, forecast confidence is low in the temperatures outlook east of the Rockies. Below normal temperatures are most likely across the western Gulf Coast and lower Mississippi Valley due to an amplifying trough aloft. Increased chances of above normal temperatures across the Great Lakes and Northeast are consistent with the positive 500-hPa height anomalies over Canada, while Pacific flow favors above normal temperatures along the West Coast."

"The official 8-14 day 500-hPa height blend consists of: 40% of Today's 6z GFS Ensemble Mean centered on Day 11, and 60% of Today's 0z European Ensemble Mean centered on Day 11"

Note below how warm is the day 11 0Z Euro (12Z Euro similar)! The models, especially Euro ens, have warmed considerably since yesterday morning:

View attachment 31060

View attachment 31061
It's one heck of a ball game, Larry ... but I like your map (playbook) better! Yours actually makes more sense if one takes time to look at all the variables ...

gfs_ref_frzn_seus_38.png

Honestly, this is what you want to see. It will change soon but this would be a great set up for a winter storm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200115-173729.png
    Screenshot_20200115-173729.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
If you could actually take this run verbatim and have it happen, there'd be some problems since the ice is coming off a cold period. Who knows though if it's realistic since this version of the GFS has a bit of a suppression bias.

Not just a front end thump, it's a full blown ice storm.

Back