• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

This may not mean nothing, but this time frame still has my attention a little. There are still a few members that do show some hope on this first little wave. I've learned that the icon may not be as crazy as people think and sometimes it matches up with gefs when it come to wintry weather and sometimes it's good with leading the way. I'm not giving up, lol.
GEFSSE_prec_snens_150.png

I still feel okay about coastal areas having a chance at something Wintry if the cold settles in well and a system stays suppressed. There's been quite a signal on ensembles that something might sneak up. Again, way too far out, and it's a nightmare to figure situations like those out even a couple days in advance. Track matters, but cold has to be firmly well in place first.

This may not mean nothing, but this time frame still has my attention a little. There are still a few members that do show some hope on this first little wave. I've learned that the icon may not be as crazy as people think and sometimes it matches up with gefs when it come to wintry weather and sometimes it's good with leading the way. I'm not giving up, lol.
GEFSSE_prec_snens_150.png

There still appears to be a very faint signal for something from Montgomery to Macon to Myrtle, we'll see.

If you look at the actual height maps and not the anomalies it's not a disaster. Split flow with some ridging in the west. All you need at this time of the year is a reasonably cold dry air mass and you might have something

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

We actually have low pressure off the east coast for once and high pressure up into parts of the arctic. A complete flip from the first half of January.

The GEFS did have a -EPO so that helps a ton but it's been wrong about that a lot.

GEFS-surface.gif

If you look at the actual height maps and not the anomalies it's not a disaster. Split flow with some ridging in the west. All you need at this time of the year is a reasonably cold dry air mass and you might have something

I like looking at the height maps better, actually. We're just having a problem getting real cold to push into the SE. I was looking at last night's LR Euro NHEM map and the strongest high that I could find was, I think, NE of AK at 1032 or something. That's ridiculous.

Agreed 10000000000%

Well, I'd agree in general. But I think here in the SE, if we're looking for snowfall we need a perhaps a bit more. We need well below normal temperatures and pretty great ridging IMO. Ok, a bit below normal won't get us snow I don't think. That's the frustrating part to me is we need a really good pattern, and it's just absent the last few years.

Well, I'd agree in general. But I think here in the SE, if we're looking for snowfall we need a perhaps a bit more. We need well below normal temperatures and pretty great ridging IMO. Ok, a bit below normal won't get us snow I don't think. That's the frustrating part to me is we need a really good pattern, and it's just absent the last few years.
Hey man I am just trying to find any positives I can here.

I like looking at the height maps better, actually. We're just having a problem getting real cold to push into the SE. I was looking at last night's LR Euro NHEM map and the strongest high that I could find was, I think, NE of AK at 1032 or something. That's ridiculous.

No blocking near the pole and a strong PV will do that to you. That said give me a 1032 over the NE and something in the southern stream and I will take my chances

Back