• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

0Z Euro: looking like precip may end up more inland and heavier but also the push of colder is weaker. So, would it even be cold enough this time where the precip reaches onshore? That's almost always the concern with a NW trend. We'll see.

After that storm, look at how warm it is at 240 of the 0Z Euro! What happened to all of that modeled cold air? Fiction? I know the models are almost all cold biased these days, but this much? Jan 25th had been modeled to be in the midst of a cold period in the SE, but it is now almost a torch?!

1579071442246.png

Another gulf of Alaska low to mess the pacific pattern up.. although that monster Aleutian low is bringing the 500 mb heights in Alaska. -epo signal sorta. 1579072035370.png

After that storm, look at how warm it is at 240 of the 0Z Euro! What happened to all of that modeled cold air? Fiction? I know the models are almost all cold biased these days, but this much? Jan 25th had been modeled to be in the midst of a cold period in the SE, but it is now almost a torch?!

View attachment 30946
Honestly not a bad look .. hear me out lol .. it’s going to be fairly short lived there’s tons of blocking around and all that is heading towards Greenland .. I believe if the model were to move forward storms would begin getting stuck under all that ridging heading towards Greenland and the poles .. even with all that it wouldn’t be anything close to a torch .. 50s are being modeled outside of the CAD regions which remain fairly cool ... no torch just blocking

Honestly not a bad look .. hear me out lol .. it’s going to be fairly short lived there’s tons of blocking around and all that is heading towards Greenland .. I believe if the model were to move forward storms would begin getting stuck under all that ridging heading towards Greenland and the poles .. even with all that it wouldn’t be anything close to a torch .. 50s are being modeled outside of the CAD regions which remain fairly cool ... no torch just blocking

The point is that it is showing AN when this was solidly BN for several days ensemble runs. The models are cold biased. The supposed change to dominating cold continues to be a mirage. Why would this change now?

Fool me one, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me dozens of times, will I ever learn?

Well, that's the longer range. Before that we still have the potential wintry event for the SE. Whereas the cold push on the 0Z EPS isn't as strong as that on the 12Z EPS (mirroring the 0Z Euro op), it appears that there will likely still be a good number of members with coastal snow possiblty similar to the 12Z. We'll see when the individual members are out as I don't have them.

Edit: And yes I see the 0Z EPS after being so much warmer than 24 hours ago for most of the run once again shows the sucker mirage of cold late in the run. I expect certain folks to harp on that and ignore the majority of the run that is warmer. Be my guest. It is comical. Sometimes I think it isn't worth posting about warmth in winter any more.

Last edited:
I like the chances for coastal sections of the Southeast versus some of us further inland so far. It's a wait and see at this point.

Well, that's the longer range. Before that we still have the potential wintry event for the SE. Whereas the cold push on the 0Z EPS isn't as strong as that on the 12Z EPS (mirroring the 0Z Euro op), it appears that there will likely still be a good number of members with coastal snow possiblty similar to the 12Z. We'll see when the individual members are out as I don't have them.

Edit: And yes I see the 0Z EPS after being so much warmer than 24 hours ago for most of the run once again shows the sucker mirage of cold late in the run. I expect certain folks to harp on that and ignore the majority of the run that is warmer. Be my guest. It is comical. Sometimes I think it isn't worth posting about warmth in winter any more.

That was an interesting run. There is so much energy flying around. Maybe we get a back and forth pattern for now, with parades of storms? Not all winter weather storms but all types of storm systems.

Yeah, make a post about warmth and you take some heat on here sometimes unfortunately, but yeah that pattern at 240 on the EPS ain’t gonna cut it, looks so nino-ish with a active SS, but AN 850s/temps associated with a big big Canadian ridge, this pattern supports soakers D6F87876-3516-41B4-8EAA-FF66A019ACF1.png93600EB2-93BB-4269-A9C5-B6B5E065A088.png

6Z GFS: look out as the Arctic high is much stronger (1052 mb!) in the N Rockies and the trough axis may end up settling further west once in the E US.

Edit: this run is looking to bring much colder air down into the SE. Will it also be dry? Maybe

Last edited:
Much better run of the gfs at H5 for system of interest #1, actually has a little SW on the base, if we get that to trend stronger there may be ULL snow from that instead 774AE1F6-88DA-40D1-B5CD-3135FC45CFE0.gif

However the GEFS is even more suppressed with it, should be seeing any “NW trend” by now

However the GEFS is even more suppressed with it, should be seeing any “NW trend” by now

I never want to see the NW trend until we are inside 48hrs of its suppressed. Suppression is fine I can live with that all day long at this range. The pattern is gonna changeand be more favorable and thats the most important part right now. We have a few days for details to work themselves out.

Just because we’re a few degrees above normal for a couple days doesn’t mean we need to poop our pants were not going to die and it’s in no way shape or form a torch... it’s a progressive pattern which means we could have lots of flipping and flopping of the models with wild swings in solutions until the models figure out the energy that’s being progressed .. in no way should we be cliff jumping right now .. so premature ??‍♂️

Back