• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

There is some similarities to 2015. MJO looks like it wants to follow a similar path and including the pattern to end January.

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif201501.phase.90days.gif.small.gifecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_10day-0342400.pngcompday.H0vfM8K1z9.gif

FWIW this Saturday on the NAM. Also has a better CAD signature this run and more precip ahead of the line.
Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 9.37.39 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 9.39.26 AM.png

There is some similarities to 2015. MJO looks like it wants to follow a similar path and including the pattern to end January.

View attachment 30970View attachment 30971View attachment 30968View attachment 30969
Not surprising given it was a year with an advancing Nino. I wouldn’t be shocked to see a really big central pac mjo event in Feb or Mar that sends us on our way to a nino for 2020-21. Could be staring down the barrel of our 3rd winter in a row with a nino, ironically 2 of those featured a strong SE ridge. (Facepalm).
Maybe the 3rd time will finally be the charm?

Not surprising given it was a year with an advancing Nino. I wouldn’t be shocked to see a really big central pac mjo event in Feb or Mar that sends us on our way to a nino for 2020-21. Could be staring down the barrel of our 3rd winter in a row with a nino, ironically 2 of those featured a strong SE ridge. (Facepalm).
Maybe the 3rd time will finally be the charm?

Oh great...so we can go ahead and cancel Dec 2020. This doesn't look like it's going away.

Dep_Sec_EQ_5d.gif

At the end of the day let’s also remember the basics. Looks how much RUN to RUN variability there is in the ENS runs much less the OP runs. Euro op is telling IMhO. Keep watching that shortwave back further SW. let’s see if that keeps happening

What in the world is "MVP"?

Multivariate PNA index. Carl Schreck set to figure out which MJO events impact USA temps and which ones do not. (Ex. We are in phase 8 and nothing happened, why?)
03686273b4d54e8105909076d47269f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Multivariate PNA. Basically if the PNA is Neutral or negative the MJO phase doesn't matter a lot.

It’s not the PNA that’s the point, it’s multivariate. That’s why the MVP has a 0.57 correlation with the CPC’s PNA index, as in, it’s not close to being the same as the PNA index.

At the end of the day let’s also remember the basics. Looks how much RUN to RUN variability there is in the ENS runs much less the OP runs. Euro op is telling IMhO. Keep watching that shortwave back further SW. let’s see if that keeps happening
Good post as was yours from yesterday.

Oh geez. I quickly glanced at it and it's a variant of the PNA so of course, the MVP is negative as we are coming out of a strong -PNA period.

Yeah, the point is more this:
if the MVP stays + or - when we are in Phase 7 it will likely not lead to Eastern cold.

Or if the MVP stays - or goes neutral, it will likely not lead to eastern cold.

Obviously the PNA is binary. + leads to cold East, - leads to warm East. That’s not the case with the MVP and in this research it correlates the 3 measures (-,0,+) with the MJO phase and outcomes on temp in the US

I haven't read the white paper, but a +PNA is a ridge in the west and a -PNA is a trough there. What does the same height field look like with a -MVP vs a +MVP. Any pictures?

Back