• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Highs in the low to mid 30s starting January 21st East of the mtns. Sooner and below freezing west of the blue ridge.

Major deposit of dry cold air will be stuck at the surface. Any storm that comes too quickly will be Icy mix or snow esp NC/TN.given those temps prior.

I've got no problem with suppression on this model given that in the longer range, this one arguably does worse than the old GFS with predicting how far the cold press presses down. It does look like the wave gets strung out but it still produces pretty good moisture to me.

Edit: And based off 850s being below freezing, temps in the 40s in areas is more than enough to think that if good precip made it it'd end up being snow/wintry through the moisture getting it there.

Close call at hr 228...for Florida winter weather in the north-western part of the state.

I like where the gfs is now with the low. Gefs has been showing some southern sliders

Close call at hr 228...for Florida winter weather in the north-western part of the state.
Some wintry mix showers poss for rare places of coastal Texas, coastal Louisiana, north-west Florida and then Myrtle Beach, SC barely avoids the wintry precip.

Gonna be some ensembles showing wintery accums for unusual places of the extreme lower s/e namely the beaches. Maybe even a big dog for Myrtle Beach.

Back