• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Man, the Canadian was nice last night in the 9-10 day period and GFS appeared to be close as well. Ensembles keep looking good. I’m thinking we have a nice chance at scoring towards the end of the month and hope we can get a good day of model runs.

Those strong H’s the GFS keeps advertising past hr150 keep disappearing. No where near as cold on the 12z gfs during this time period as previous runs. They really need to get this model tweaked and fixed. Run to run changes are to be expected but this is just terrible. Hopefully the ensembles are okay. Having the EPS on board is great though.

Gfs looks nice at 204, let's see if the wave in the SW can survive or if it is shredded

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Those strong H’s the GFS keeps advertising past hr150 keep disappearing. No where near as cold on the 12z gfs during this time period as previous runs. They really need to get this model tweaked and fixed. Run to run changes are to be expected but this is just terrible. Hopefully the ensembles are okay. Having the EPS on board is great though.

The EPS is the only models I focus on to be honest. We need it to stay onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gfs always overdoes those type of high pressures in the long range that’s why I believe it was said to avoid looking at those type of details that far out cause they will smooth out .. nothing about the Gfs looks terrible right now

Me gusta
b1c2adca02ff6f74cd1c932ff4d9b0af.gif
f5ec1f98ddf362a0d1a3cfc385480f96.gif

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Here’s Atlanta’s composite versus Raleigh. Raleigh’s are the most recent bigger events since 96 and Atlanta’s is its top 10 snowfalls.

Top is Raleigh

Can see Atlanta has the NAO signature and deeper further south low practically over upstate NY.

Caveat this by saying it obviously can snow in other patterns.

View attachment 30481View attachment 30482
If I get some time, I’d like to play around with some of my composite code and NOAA’s new 20CRv3 dataset to get a bigger composite of large events for a larger portion of central NC.

Back