• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

End of the Euro is Nice.
762d8da71938ec1ddab71317e24c0d10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything is just a little too far East on the Euro. The western ridging would be better along the coast and into Alaska. The -NAO is east based too, this basically favors cutters or Miller Bs that give the Ohio Valley and Midwest cold and snowy weather.
hard to see reality through those 240 hour looking glass vibrations though....

All the OP models agree on a colder look but achieve it differently. At 240 the Euro has a vastly different look at 500 vs the GFS in the Atlantic and Pacific. The Canadian has the best look in both the Pacific and Atlantic and that's why it produced a snowy outcome in the south.

When looking at the ENS, the GFS isn't supported at all by the GEFS and it snows a very different look at 500 vs the op at 240. GEFS actually has a west based -NAO and Pacific ridging in a good spot. Will see what support the Euro gets from the EPS, but until it's beaten, will have to go with it having the most likely outcome. The GEPS isn't quite in step in the Atlantic with it's OP either.

Everything is just a little too far East on the Euro. The western ridging would be better along the coast and into Alaska. The -NAO is east based too, this basically favors cutters or Miller Bs that give the Ohio Valley and Midwest cold and snowy weather.
I respectfully disagree. Is the western ridge ideally placed along the coast? No, but it’s still 10+ days out. We don’t want to keep losing that ridge eastward but In my honest opinion that is far from a Miller B or cutter look.

I respectfully disagree. Is the western ridge ideally placed along the coast? No, but it’s still 10+ days out. We don’t want to keep losing that ridge eastward but In my honest opinion that is far from a Miller B or cutter look.

The East based NAO is the midwest track. You want those big reds over the Davis Strait instead of East of Greenland to get Miller A's. We can get it done with the Pacific too, but usually with +PNA and -EPO in the Gulf of Alaska.

Wait this isn’t the GEFS? Wow the euro showing this gives me way more confidence ... still can we get some operational support tomorrow please

It would be nice to see it start showing up inside of 10 days on an operational model that isn't the Canadian. Pattern flips always seem to take forever to arrive and often seem to hang up, but we are slowly reeling this one in and there's little doubt the flip to cold is coming. Hopefully it has legs and we get 3-6 weeks of it like we did with the big flip in November.

Back