• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Incoming!?!?!
f78daf70cfea7c990916505303820b77.jpg

Meh...
ed51f261a82c3aa25dfdf38a02792b16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Early look at this GFS run looks like some of the ensembles we've seen lately. There's a huge HP though, so if it doesn't head NE a little it wouldn't surprise me if it stayed suppressed and dissipated a bit.

Good though at this range.

Edit: And poof at 234 lol. Although I wasn't looking at other maps yet.

Interesting, the GFS looks similar how modeling looked prior to the December storm. The main difference was the lack of a ridge out west. If we can get that, this run would have gone boom.
52A9B5F4-B936-43EE-B06B-A950AACF1079.pngF90618E6-72B6-4A26-80C1-EE166A270F66.png

Wave gets too strung out. Ingredients are there, just needs a stronger wave to phase with the 50/50 low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the shortwave over Texas is a little faster and/or the high pressure digs a little further southwest then look out! Definitely a look we can work with at this range.

We're really on to something there if the first wave isn't strung out. The storm that ends up emerging comes mainly from a different wave that crashes into California that's stronger and it absorbs it on the vort maps.

edit: and...ugh, could use other things...like a ridge for example. But maybe we can get that ridge because I've seen the western ridge/eastern trough start to emerge around then.

Bone chilling cold, system goes poof, cold retreats out of Eastern U.S. Storm roars our way. Life in the South hoping for snow.
Most of the time that's how it goes unfortunately, but sometimes we get lucky and "cash" in. Luckily the time window is still beyond 200 hours so expect to see many other scenarios. A winter storm is still in the pending status. At this point, it's still meh.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

? We had 4 in 12 days in 2000
We had 2 storms within 7-10 days a few years back. I will have to look up when as I remember transmission came out while plowing. We had to get it replaced quick as another one came.

Back