• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Jan 8-11 2024 System Severe

This made me go through the hrrr since I don't have the 3k until its done. There are lots of random 70-95mph gusts on the more tame hrrr from mobile to CLT then over to VA Beach
The potential is there with individual cells to produce some sporadic intense winds no doubt. Will it live up to it's potential, we’ll know soon enough, but better safe than sorry

The 4”+ of rainfall and 20-30 mph sustained/40+mph gusts here really has me worried. We’ve gotten significant rainfall the last few weeks that comes every 3-5 days and has dropped at least an inch minimum everytime here. That with the combination of hills/mountains and abundance of creeks, streams, and rivers for runoff and creating flood prone areas has me worried near myself. The severe weather is an after thought in my head right now in mby. The rainfall alone is crazy to see not being driven by a tropical system. I expect numerous power outages and down trees around here.

wife got on you about getting that work done huh?
lol. These are my babies. I enjoy putting them up for my kids but I will say I don’t love doing it as much as I once did. It’s a lot of work and then when it comes time to put them up we’re usually in a soaker of a rain pattern and you can never get everything dried out long enough to put up.

Maybe the folks in charge of that should do something about making it more accurate if it's off that much.
It's really not "off" that much but is showing the potential with the setup. If an area gets enough instability and a has enough updraft to tap the raging winds just a few hundred feet above the surface, then a brief gust at those speeds is highly possible. It's not a widespread sustained wind map

It's really not "off" that much but is showing the potential with the setup. If an area gets enough instability and a has enough updraft to tap the raging winds just a few hundred feet above the surface, then a brief gust at those speeds is highly possible. It's not a widespread sustained wind map
It's also at 33 ft and a pws on a 4ft dowel rod isn't going to be close

It's also at 33 ft and a pws on a 4ft dowel rod isn't going to be close
It's pvc. And do you know why they use 10m? Why not 15 or 8 or some other number? I know it's not really possible to forecast ground speed because of terrain. But I don't remember why the official height is set to 10m.

It's pvc. And do you know why they use 10m? Why not 15 or 8 or some other number? I know it's not really possible to forecast ground speed because of terrain. But I don't remember why the official height is set to 10m.
Does yours flex in the wind? I think the 33ft is a WMO standard thing no idea why it was selected though

Does yours flex in the wind? I think the 33ft is a WMO standard thing no idea why it was selected though
Yeah it does a little. Mine is never going to be dead on balls accurate but it'll be in the ballpark....of ground truth, I mean.

Spent the last hour in the dark taking down my flagpole Christmas tree and outdoor inflatables because I’d like to use them next year. The tree would get sideways in 15’ish mph sustained winds so I figured I might lose her tomorrow. I need a drink

Thanks for the reminder. Going out now to bring my 5 by 7 American flag off of the front porch. Can’t have her hit the ground. ????

The 4”+ of rainfall and 20-30 mph sustained/40+mph gusts here really has me worried. We’ve gotten significant rainfall the last few weeks that comes every 3-5 days and has dropped at least an inch minimum everytime here. That with the combination of hills/mountains and abundance of creeks, streams, and rivers for runoff and creating flood prone areas has me worried near myself. The severe weather is an after thought in my head right now in mby. The rainfall alone is crazy to see not being driven by a tropical system. I expect numerous power outages and down trees around here.

Can‘t agree more. Poop ton of recent rain and high winds even without the severe concern me. Perhaps, @NCSNOW or @packfan98 can weigh in on Triad impacts? Please….

Back