• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

If I lived along hwy 158 from reidsville to @metwannabe I would be pooping in excitement this morning
Cautiously optimistic but there are several hurdles to overcome for this to be significant (2" plus) event. If it was turning up the coast sure, but it's heading due east and exiting stage right quick, as @Poimen stated a couple of times there is really a small window of snowfall. Couple that with very wet soils, rain transitioning to snow and usually CAA slower to get here then modeled, I have tempered expectations. Although I do feel like there will be an hour or two of moderate to heavy rates which will be fun

BOOM!
ref1km_ptype.us_ma.png

Welcome to the party, NAM. Interesting for the Triad crowd, the NAM sounding for 10 pm is giving a best guess "snow." It's close for sure. *IF* we can get snow by 10-11 that could make a difference.

nam_2021012712_015_36.17--80.14.png

Good to see the NAM cave. Basically lines up with the GFS and HRRR now. I would say pay attention to its thermals and see if it sniffs out any screw job warm noses. It’s good at that.

Looks to me that the heaviest snow may be setting up from Greensboro to Durham based on the 12z short range modeling, though I should probably adjust that northward in reality.

Which model is better on the temps? NAM, HRRR, or RAP? Because there's a pretty good difference on them . At least for my area

I know the 3km NAM was really good with thermals yesterday. I know this is a different set up though
In general regardless of setup the NAMs usually (not always but usually) do a better job with thermals, if they start hinting at a warm nose it's a warning shot to pay attention

In general regardless of setup the NAMs usually (not always but usually) do a better job with thermals, if they start hinting at a warm nose it's a warning shot to pay attention
Yeah I just feel like there's been a couple times this year where each model has done better than the other. Regardless, every model looks really good for your area! Good luck!

Typically 3km NAM is best on thermals in my experience from past storms.
Agree: You have to watch em all and when one is polar opposite of the rest of the bunch like the Nam was on qpf. You watch and see if the bunch trend toward it or if it trends toward the bunch.

Same deal with Sunday. The Globals all have a good size storm here except gFS currently. so watch H5 and see who iis trending toward who. Thats usually the way the pendellum will swing.

Poimen & Metwannabe: Look and maybe their is a brief window for a pivot. That would be after all of us transition to snow, cause it want happen until the Low is exiting the coast. Models dont catch those sometimes and they add a couple hours of killer rates to the equation for wherever the deform band is set up when it happens. I havent seen it on any of the loops . The cams would catch it 1st and closer in to game time this evening.

Back