• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

Sorry, 99% of them. :rolleyes:

You do realize that totals are backing down from the insane garbage they were spewing out yesterday, right? There is going to be a warm nose somewhere in this that really lessens totals. On top of that, I think the 2M temps are going to limit a lot of what is “predicted” by the numerical models.

One thing I am picking up when you blend all these together is the Greenville up slightly NW to Rocky Mount, NC areas.

View attachment 68482

PGV can do well in these.....need the offshore low to take over quicker and to hang out a bit to really hit those higher totals though I think....if somehow we get temps to 30 and can snow good for 6+ hrs then sure 4-6" is doable but I have my doubts that works out...1-2" is the call for now from the NWS and that seems more likely than 4-6" at this point.......that said its been a long long time since something bust big in our favor, mother nature owes us one....

Certainly not a fan of the soil temperatures. Although, if we get a good period of 50dbz snow, then this isn't as large of a barrier. Big wet snowflakes are pretty effective in accumulating with my experience.

Still think these soil temperatures will be enough to melt some of modeled snowfall. Another reason to shave these totals down a bit from model outputs.

You do realize that totals are backing down from the insane garbage they were spewing out yesterday, right? There is going to be a warm nose somewhere in this that really lessens totals. On top of that, I think the 2M temps are going to limit a lot of what is “predicted” by the numerical models.

Not sure what you're looking at, but the Euro and NAM have increased today, and the GFS and HRRR have been holding steady. Anyway, not sure why you seem to have such an attitude about it. It's weird.

Not sure what you're looking at, but the Euro and NAM have increased today, and the GFS and HRRR have been holding steady. Anyway, not sure why you seem to have such an attitude about it. It's weird.

I don’t have an attitude. I honestly hope you get to see what you’re thinking might happen. Honestly.

Still think these soil temperatures will be enough to melt some of modeled snowfall. Another reason to shave these totals down a bit from model outputs.
I agree. I haven't seen below freezing soil temperatures in over three years, but I think that it depends on where you measure. Elevated surfaces and grass may come closer to modeled snow, but there may be a limited, or non-existent issue with roads.

a3b0adf021721dd366dcfe6ee878f6dc.jpg

If there’s such a thing as a 158 special, this looks like the right setup.

Doesn’t have the same ring to it as an I-40 special though. (or even 64)
I think that the first to change over will be up that way, but I don't think that I-40 will get shut out considering that they/we will have the highest rates and a relatively long time as snow.

Back