• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

Brad P. Riding and dying by the 3k nam
I'm not saying I agree with him, but as I mentioned in a previous post, you can ALWAYS adjust upwards, but it's impossible to take back a high forecast. If you notice, that's what KRDU does for winter storms.
Honestly, how often has the higher end amounts of a forecast for snow come true in NC? Typically, not very often.

Got the day off tomorrow. Going to set up in/near Raleigh or Rocky Mount tonight and move east to the OBX eventually to check out some wave action tomorrow. Going to be fun experience regardless of totals, glad a lot of NC folks are going to cash in.

I'm not saying I agree with him, but as I mentioned in a previous post, you can ALWAYS adjust upwards, but it's impossible to take back a high forecast. If you notice, that's what KRDU does for winter storms.
Honestly, how often has the higher end amounts of a forecast for snow come true in NC? Typically, not very often.

Yep it's much easier to forecast this way, when you go aggressive on totals and they don't verify people go ballistic. Much better to go low and bump totals up as confidence increases and from experience things typically bust on the warm side as well.

It's beautiful to look at and all but doggone 12" over a ~5 hour time frame is more than 2" per hour. That's just impossible (it would seem).
Its not impossible. Saw 4 per hour Jan 2000. What would be rare is to get 4 to 5 hours of 2 inch rates. Not metorlogically unfathomable with this exact situation thats about to unfold.
But i get your drift. We all are conditioned to always expect the worse lol, never beleive the pie in the sky from the models.

Safe to say the trend from yesterday to today has been an increase in totals on all the models, and getting more consensus with them. Nice to see just 12 or so hours away from game time.

Its not impossible. Saw 4 per hour Jan 2000. What would be rare is to get 4 to 5 hours of 2 inch rates. Not metorlogically unfathomable with this exact situation thats about to unfold.
But i get your drift. We all are conditioned to always expect the worse lol, never beleive the pie in the sky from the models.

If any part of the Triad gets 12" I'll be glad to buy you any kind of pie you want ;)

I’m in SW Durham towards Chapel Hill right off of Garrett Road and US-15-501, by the TJ Maxx! What about you?

Oh ok, cool. We used to be in American Village and just moved to NE Durham. If you follow guess road to where it turns into a two lane, hang a left there and we’re about a mile north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back