• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

I'm lik
Oh ok, cool. We used to be in American Village and just moved to NE Durham. If you follow guess road to where it turns into a two lane, hang a left there and we’re about a mile north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm like 10 min south of y'all off sherron rd.

My concern is how some of the modeling is painting very little snow for portions of the NW Piedmont (GGEM; RGEM; RAP) including now the UK. Warning shots are being fired.

sn10_acc.us_state_nc_va.png

Oh ok, cool. We used to be in American Village and just moved to NE Durham. If you follow guess road to where it turns into a two lane, hang a left there and we’re about a mile north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! You seem to be in a relatively good spot for this!

My concern is how some of the modeling is painting very little snow for portions of the NW Piedmont (GGEM; RGEM; RAP) including now the UK. Warning shots are being fired.

Yeah, I would definitely be concerned about that in the Triad. Less so here, but it’s still a worry (the UKMET is pretty paltry here, too). It’s bizarre that we are at basically zero hour and we have one model’s ensemble mean showing damn near 12” at the GSO airport and the UKMET showing zilch!

The UKMET is showing a weaker/more suppressed 850mb low than other guidance atm which is why you're not seeing much on this run over the Triad. I'm not really buying that here though. Most times in the short-range these 850 lows amp and tick NW slightly, blocking of the low-level cold by the mountains will also entice some very minor NW adjustments that are better for the Triad.

1611767820056.png

Be interesting to see how the local offices handle the noon runs.....MHX calling for 1-2" here right now dont see much reason for them to change that at this point...

The UKMET is showing a weaker/more suppressed 850mb low than other guidance atm which is why you're not seeing much on this run over the Triad. I'm not really buying that here though. Most times in the short-range these 850 lows amp and tick NW slightly, blocking of the low-level cold by the mountains will also entice some very minor NW adjustments that are better for the Triad.

View attachment 68481
To go along with webbS point. From another met on another board.
Alright, glad the qpf picture got cleared up. i think there's more frontier to to figure out- how the cycle evolves. (i'm going to say cyclogenesis some here which basically means the formation of low pressure)

Guidance has a pretty interesting method of cyclogenesis- we don't get this that often to it's hard to say this definitively, but it appears we go lee cyclogenesis against the apps before a low forms off the coast? I'll pull a pressure field from an arbitrary model:

hrrr_mslp_wind_seus_16.png

We got two low pressure centers- one off the coast (as expected) but another floating around northern South Carolina. I think that this is doing two things:

-enhancing precip in the western piedmont and

-delaying the changeover in the eastern piedmont.

how this feature is modeled is something i'm keeping an eye on. i have *no idea* how this will evolve because we simply don't see setups like this very often and i don't have a sleeve for this in my mental rolodex. but, i think that if the coastal develops more quickly, surface winds will have a more northerly component and expedite cold air advection. this would mean less precip i think for, say, davidson.

Back