• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

I think many including myself will like the new Euro
sn10_acc.us_se.png

Just out of curiosity, is there some scientific formula or something out there that deals with how much snow it takes to cool down ground temps before it starts to stick? I just find it hard to believe that 6 inches would be enough to cause travel issues with ground temps so warm. Not saying your wrong by any means, I am hoping it happens. But I have my doubts.
Travel conditions would be more from wet roads/bridges freezing from the melting. I guess the best way to explain it is that if rates are heavy enough to accumulate, you would have slow melting underneath, while the elevated accumulation helps insulate the heat to the surface. It would have to be fast rates, and a good cold push afterwards, but we have seen this a few times in the past. The travel issues are temporary…..almost as temporary as the accumulated snow…lol, but fun nonetheless!

18z was actually better for us west folks
It was
man this setup really interests me with that comma head/deformation zone, shows up nicely on the euro, that’s what I’m banking on here and what many should watch, with a strengthening and formidable 1000/999mb mid latitude cyclone View attachment 100839View attachment 100840View attachment 100838View attachment 100841View attachment 100842

Lol the snow is gonna be like cement, gonna be hard to accumulate, those ratios suck

10 to 11 tonight, a two inch band in one hour from huntsville to birmingham
1641186000-FM8J74FsA1o.png
That gonna move through the shoals
Nice hit for the midsouth on 14z HRRR
Upper level low already taking shape just to my west. Temp is still 41 so it needs to start dropping.
What's your temp now?Like to see your observations being that you are just west of me!

Obs out west is going to tell the story. So many times I remember these things digging further south and getting too amped early on and destroying MS and northwest AL and then cutting way too soon. That’s not happening at the moment, so hopefully that bodes well for us to the East. Really want to see those temps push south and precip to start building in MS. If the snow reports start in west AL, those of us East of 65 should be sitting pretty.

Obs out west is going to tell the story. So many times I remember these things digging further south and getting too amped early on and destroying MS and northwest AL and then cutting way too soon. That’s not happening at the moment, so hopefully that bodes well for us to the East. Really want to see those temps push south and precip to start building in MS. If the snow reports start in west AL, those of us East of 65 should be sitting pretty.

I agree with this. Need to see those to the west of us overperform this evening.

Honestly as fun as looking at the models are, I would take whatever the models are showing and cut the totals by 3/4 across AL except for the northern parts and the NE ridges. If you get more be surprised.
Yeah it’ll be fun to see the observations actually come thru for y’all out west so we can gage how things will probably go up our way

Back