• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

Those HRRr totals for west Tennessee aren't going to verify the heaviest precipitation is currently over those locations and pushing east

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna fill back in I would imagine briefly, chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soil temps are overrated, besides grass and leaves cool down much faster than the soil. The big issue here is with this type of “comma” head band is that the models often miss how quickly it moves through.
Energy transfer is usually brutal, but our digging is a little further East this time. I think north GA deals with the transfer this time.

Update from Greg Fishel.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON UPDATE

Well, I still think we'll see snowflakes in the Triangle during the day tomorrow, but I'm afraid the chance of seeing accumulating snow is dwindling. The radiosonde (weather balloon) data that came in this morning had an impact on both the US and European models, in that the track of the developing low pressure area in Georgia has shifted ever so slightly to the north and west. That means a warmer environment when the most intense upward motion occurs, which in turn implies rain. Much colder air will begin to pour in on strong northerly winds after 7am, but in order to get accumulating snow, we need strong vertical motion and cold air simultaneously, and that may very well turn out to be the missing tandem for snow lovers.

Now, there have been times where we see one anomalous set of model runs shift away from the original solution, only to return to that original solution 12 hours later. So, I will be plotting maps hourly, starting this evening, to make sure this system is "behaving" itself! Even with this shift, my good friends in Roxboro stand the best chance of seeing a Winter Wonderland tomorrow am.

Many of asked me over the years as to why the best chance of snow always appears to be northwest of Raleigh. Well, it's not quite this simple, but this time of year, the ocean water temperatures are usually warmer than the air inland. That warm ocean water warms the air above it, and anytime there is any component of the wind coming from the east, that milder ocean air begins to have an impact. The closer you are to the coast, the greater the impact, and the farther away, the lesser the impact. Roxboro just happens on average to be just far enough away from the coast to escape that warming influence.

A note to snow lovers: Never, ever, give up!!! I've always tried to shoot straight with you. I try to forecast what I think will happen, not what I want to happen. And sometimes, that's very challenging! More later!

Back