• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

Agreed, however It doesn’t take long to cool the soil to a depth that supports snow/ice sitting on top of it.
IDK. There's just something special when every flake that falls sticks to frozen ground. It's the difference between some slush on the car tops and mulch and snow-covered roads in light events.

I *think* for the immediate(ish) triangle area:

I think RAH has the right idea of at least flakes north of 64. I think any accumulation is N&W of of say an area bounded by NC Highway 86 in Orange County on the west side, roughly north of 85 in Durham County and then maybe north of NC Highway 98 in Wake County bounded by either Highway 1 or 401 on the eastern end. I actually think the biggest area of question is bounded by 540 to the south and 98 to the north in Wake. They could do better than I anticipate.

I also think tomorrow is going to be much like a summer thunderstorm day. We dont know who yet but someone is gonna end up under a cell of heavy snow around the changeover time.

And their soil temperatures weren’t much different than the rest of the southeast.
It’s an elevated bridge which cools very quickly given there is cold air both on top of and underneath the bridge. You better believe the fact that it was 75 yesterday will keep roadways relatively more clear than they would be if it was 25 yesterday, though. That’s not saying it can’t stick, I’m just saying it will be harder and it will melt quicker. The NWS talks about this in their forecast discussions.

Back