• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

It doesn't feel like our areas get this kind of set up very often...a poleward TROWAL in the deep south is rare. I think someone in AL is going to get a massive surprise.
Agreed. I could see some areas being in for a surprise out of this setup. It’ll be fun to watch it as it evolves regardless.

FXUS62 KFFC 021508
AFDFFC

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
1008 AM EST Sun Jan 2 2022

...Winter Weather Advisory expanded into Bartow, Cherokee, Polk,
Paulding and Haralson Counties...

.UPDATE...

Updated 12Z model guidance has shown more aggression with snow
accumulations in NW Georgia, with trends suggesting a
stronger/sharper shortwave transitioning through the area on the
backside of the cold frontal system aided by an intensifying jet
streak to the north hinting at a potential for this winter event to
overperform. The strength of a developing near-surface low
pressure in the area will define how intense the wrap-around
precip will be across NW Georgia. While this is not typically the
winter weather setup we see in the forecast area, and keeping in
mind the record warmth we`ve had in the region for the last week
and beyond. Some guidance has hinted at a potential TROWEL
development which could boost snowfall totals in the area.
Confidence is still low at this time, but a factor to consider as
we begin to move forward through this event.

Thiem

I think for much of the ATL metro, it's no longer a matter of if signficant wraparound moisture makes it to us rather than how fast the temps can crash before the moisture leaves the area.
And run by run it seems to be increasing those odds that it drops faster or the rates are heavier in the back from what I can tell. We'll know better when we see how AL performs tbh later tonight.

I think for much of the ATL metro, it's no longer a matter of if signficant wraparound moisture makes it to us rather than how fast the temps can crash before the moisture leaves the area.
Yeh, that slight SW jog and deeper low on the latest HRRR could be huge for us I-20 folks. Down to where 20-30 miles on the low track will make or break us. As usual…

Yeh, that slight SW jog and deeper low on the latest HRRR could be huge for us I-20 folks. Down to where 20-30 miles on the low track will make or break us. As usual…

Seriously, just give me 30-40 more miles SW and me and almost the entire metro would definitely see flakes and maybe accumulating snow.

I have a feeling that the WWA would move South East including more metro Atlanta counties later on today.

That’s been my main concern as well. We (N. GA) can’t afford any delay in CAA feeding in from the west.

Agreed. I could see some areas being in for a surprise out of this setup. It’ll be fun to watch it as it evolves regardless.

FXUS62 KFFC 021508
AFDFFC

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
1008 AM EST Sun Jan 2 2022

...Winter Weather Advisory expanded into Bartow, Cherokee, Polk,
Paulding and Haralson Counties...

.UPDATE...

Updated 12Z model guidance has shown more aggression with snow
accumulations in NW Georgia, with trends suggesting a
stronger/sharper shortwave transitioning through the area on the
backside of the cold frontal system aided by an intensifying jet
streak to the north hinting at a potential for this winter event to
overperform. The strength of a developing near-surface low
pressure in the area will define how intense the wrap-around
precip will be across NW Georgia. While this is not typically the
winter weather setup we see in the forecast area, and keeping in
mind the record warmth we`ve had in the region for the last week
and beyond. Some guidance has hinted at a potential TROWEL
development which could boost snowfall totals in the area.
Confidence is still low at this time, but a factor to consider as
we begin to move forward through this event.

Thiem

Ok, I just took an interweb crash course on what a TROWAL event is. Gotta say I like the sound of it! ?

TROWAL is used to describe a "tongue" of relatively warm/moist air aloft that wraps around to the north and west of a mature cyclone. Areas of intense lift and frontogenesis are commonly associated with TROWALs, and they are favoured regions for heavy and/or prolonged precipitation. During a winter storm, the heaviest snowfall amounts frequently occur along and north of the TROWAL axis.

Atlanta can do well with cold! There’s nothing to block it from flooding in!

Back