• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

Looking forward to seeing some flakes. Can’t get expectations too high but anything will do after these awful December temps.

I'm just wondering due to the lack of Cold air to support snow in the Upstate, if those areas could see sleet? I'm speaking of North of 85. Below there I think has no chance at anything frozen.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

I'm just wondering due to the lack of Cold air to support snow in the Upstate, if those areas could see sleet? I'm speaking of North of 85. Below there I think has no chance at anything frozen.

Always with cold air funneling from the west up and over the apps there are issues with getting that air down the mountain to meet the moisture. It’s tough being directly on the Lee side during a setup like this. There’s always a bit of a skip. The coldness of the air is irrelevant.

Always with cold air funneling from the west up and over the apps there are issues with getting that air down the mountain to meet the moisture. It’s tough being directly on the Lee side during a setup like this. There’s always a bit of a skip. The coldness of the air is irrelevant.
I understand that but I've seen many times in upstate ULL bring the cold. Even though not cold enough for snow it could be just cold enough for sleet.

10 to 11 tonight, a two inch band in one hour from huntsville to birmingham
1641186000-FM8J74FsA1o.png

I understand that but I've seen many times in upstate ULL bring the cold. Even though not cold enough for snow it could be just cold enough for sleet.

We used to get snow atleast once or twice a year. I’m not sure what it takes now. Even when the cold is in place then we are always part of the warm nose.

Kinda surprised our temp and dp has dropped a couple degrees the past few hrs considering we’re still getting a light SW wind. 61/58

Back