• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

The soundings on the 18z GFS are really close for the CLT metro, especially with a lot of the area being within the 540 line.

Even with the rap it’s ticking NW away from a better event for most of NC, it’s sucks but that’s a harsh reality of last minute NW trends, I’m here hoping for something under the ULL at this point View attachment 100782
Looks generally better for those further west but not so much for you guys in the Carolinas. Run to run changes seem to still be decently high so taking one run as the end all result is probably not the best idea. I will say that run is the best for those in GA vs the GFS and EURO runs. I guarantee a different image will come out of the 0Z runs until tomorrow morning or afternoon.

This trend is reminding me exactly of this event, similar track of the upper level low, similar backside band of snow, the only difference is the ridging on top, which actually is a reason why this storm is more prone to NW trend (that storm also NW trended in the last moment 5BF5AD4F-60F1-4841-BA26-8A46D39F6429.png56C1BF19-1E95-4F0F-A4BA-A000DB1A13FE.jpeg60FDB181-ACFF-43F7-8685-C35A4DABBEBA.jpeg

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most of NC sees snow falling out of this storm, accumulations if there are any are a whole different story. Given what I've seen on the 18z GFS which seems to be the most egregious when it comes to the NW trend so far, a flizzard is likely unless something goes wrong with the deformation band/ULL.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most of NC sees snow falling out of this storm, accumulations if there are any are a whole different story. Given what I've seen on the 18z GFS which seems to be the most egregious when it comes to the NW trend so far, a flizzard is likely unless something goes wrong with the deformation band/ULL.
Yeah unless we NW trend this into the SNE lol, there’s gonna at least be snowflakes on the backside given a more amped solution tugging down CAA, but the slim chances of accumulating snow outside the mountains or N Piedmont which was already low is getting lower

We do have separation between the two systems with a boundary starting to take shape working east through NC, no inclination of gulf tap with upper level moisture tail dragging.522B53C8-0F7A-455F-B821-89FD62889C7D.png18A190F1-2D1A-4646-85C9-42DAAB787848.png60B8B2DC-8026-453F-AB17-CED6EDD70980.png

Back