• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

Being in Chattanooga I’m okay with not being in the bullseye for anything at this point. Minor changes are likely to occur and can really change who sees something and who doesn’t
Agree. How many times have we been in the bullseye and changes within 24 hours screw us.

RGEM closing off earlier this run.
500wh.conus.png
Is closing off earlier good?

What’s the call for your areas west. ?
I thinking a dusting to a inch for a lot of North Mississippi/Alabama and southern Tennessee.
I generally agree with that, some areas may see up to a inch of snowfall under heavier bands, especially like you said N MS/N AL and S TN,

That’s not good more NW trend and most of us lose this to Virginia

Who says that will happen? We have seen a lot of back and forth with the trends whenever we have a threat of snow. And the models might not be exactly right, either. As long as it shows a storm stll there is a chance.

I generally agree with that, some areas may see up to a inch of snowfall under heavier bands, especially like you said N MS/N AL and S TN,
I'm just getting up to speed on this system (the snow end of it anyways). So, even with the extremely warm ground temps the thinking is that we can get accumulating snow in north Alabama? That would require flash freezing or extremely intensive snowfall rates right? Its been very warm this past week, so I'm truly curious.

While it does look good out way you have to remember it’s been in the 70s for a week now. The ground temps are baking. I wouldn’t expect any accumulation
I definitely understand that but if what the 3k nam spit out happens (likely won’t) then you’ll have accumulation in the grass and elevated surfaces easily. We will be in the 20s Monday morning. 6.8 inches of snow falling in 4 hours isn’t just not going to accumulate in grassy areas.

See 3/1/09 for example.

I'm just getting up to speed on this system (the snow end of it anyways). So, even with the extremely warm ground temps the thinking is that we can get accumulating snow in north Alabama? That would require flash freezing or extremely intensive snowfall rates right? Its been very warm this past week, so I'm truly curious.
As in accumulating snow, I mean grassy surfaces, car topping and trash can topping snow, lol, it wouldn’t shock me honestly especially if the energy is slower as advertised on the nam, nice setup for mesoscale banding on it

Back