• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

Nam might come close to closing off View attachment 100529
This set up honestly reminds me of a storm in February 1999 in which areas east of the mountains were not expected to get anything more then token flakes. However the upper energy swung through in a way much like what we’ve seen modeled this morning and the column crashed very quickly. The CLT metro went from rain and temperatures in the mid to upper 40s to heavy wet snow and thunder and temperatures in the low 30s in just an hour or so. I don’t remember the exact date, but I do know that it was a snowfall record for that day in CLT that I’m pretty sure still stands… CLT ended up with around 3 inches of paste, and we were coming out of a fairly mild period

No idea if it's right but past experience has taught some tough lessons--NAM soundings with a pronounced warm nose, plus torchy surface, over the NW piedmont.

nam_2022010112_045_35.75--80.2.png

No idea if it's right but past experience has taught some tough lessons--NAM soundings with a pronounced warm nose, plus torchy surface, over the NW piedmont.

nam_2022010112_045_35.75--80.2.png
I think it’s not really the sfc but just how weak the energy became as it moved over us on the 12km, it had weaker CAA in the low levels, unlike the nam 3km, stronger the system, the more backside cold air advection there is

I think it’s not really the sfc but just how weak the energy became as it moved over us on the 12km, it had weaker CAA in the low levels, unlike the nam 3km, stronger the system, the more backside cold air advection there is
Looked like the12K opened it up once it crossed into the Piedmont

I’ll take having the 3k nam on our side. Usually it is firing warning shots with temp issues. Going to be all about that band as it rolls through and when/if we get the changeover. These are usually fun to watch as you go from rain to ripping fatties.

Back