• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

NAM while adjusting amounts across parts of MS/AL/GA still has everyone with snow sorta leans into latest HRRR etc...

Watch your Temps watch the CAD today all these details are gonna be huge for totals all the way into East AL

A little more oomph with the CAD and NE Jefferson could come into play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CAD has nothing to do with whether it snows in AL or not. It’s all about the 500mb low placement and if there is any moisture left over.

CAD has nothing to do with whether it snows in AL or not. It’s all about the 500mb low placement and if there is any moisture left over.
It will for the Northeast quadrant of the state. Where a winter storm watch or advisory could be issued depending on the trends of how the CAD does. On the backend of the low.

40 and cloudy here where I’ll be riding this out 6 miles east of Alpharetta, GA

NWS Atlanta has done a great job with this one so far.

I threw a Atlanta specific call map in the other thread and would love to hear some takes over there or on Twitter. It could easily bust.

Let’s reel it in boys and girls. Stay safe!!

Not bad man. I’m near Northpoint mall just to your west and it’s really feast or famine here for the northern most part of Fulton county. 3km NAM was a tick west with snowfall which May portend better temp profiles. I’d put us in the 1-2 inch range right now but could bust either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I moved from Social Circle 20 years ago thinking that an extra 10 miles north might help one day...not. Sadly, when we bought this house, it was down to this one and another in Habersham. The wife won that round.

38.3 with a light ene wind currently. Forecast high of 51. Let's see if we can top out below 45!
Yes, you sacrificed my friend! Currently 40f ENE 6 mph. I see where they’re saying CAD moving into Bama so one would think we can overperform on this side of town

It will for the Northeast quadrant of the state. Where a winter storm watch or advisory could be issued depending on the trends of how the CAD does. On the backend of the low.

CAA winds on the backside of the system will be coming in from the northwest which isn't associated with the wedge. The wedging only truly matters for the frontend of the system and the subfreezing temps simply won't reach AL from the wedge...they barely reach the Atlanta area.

Wow, I've had an East/ENE wind now for a little while...just goes to show you how just being even 25 miles east of ATL can have a difference in the wedging.
Yep. Looking at Wunderground, the PWS’s east of the connector and 400 are almost all E and ESE winds. The ones on the west side are almost all W and SW. There be the battle zone - and I’m smack in it.

Raleigh is such a tough call right now and what will end up being key for impacts is how early can the precip make it here and how dry and cold it is at that time. HRRR still wants snow for 2 hours or so then sleet and barely any freezing rain .. other models have no snow and instead a little sleet followed by most freezing rain and gives us warning criteria accretion .. interesting to watch this play out on radar .. usually precip in these type of events move in faster than modeled

CAA winds on the backside of the system will be coming in from the northwest which isn't associated with the wedge. The wedging only truly matters for the frontend of the system and the subfreezing temps simply won't reach AL from the wedge...they barely reach the Atlanta area
Models show cad still affecting Northeast quadrant of Alabama through Sunday, can't say it won't reach subfreezing here. Temps are already forecasted at 33/34 by the time the backend of the system comes through. Along with winds coming from the Northeast from the apps through Sunday.

Back