• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Anyone know what would need to happen to get some Thundersnow from this system? Is that even possible?

So what things (trends) are we looking for from now until the start that will help us all benefit more from this?

If you think we have the final answer 3-4 days out you are going to be sorely wrong. Do we really think the models (short range especially) won't change some in all that time. We know it will. Hopefully for the better for many
I hear you but it's not 3-4 days anymore. This will be go time for the Carolina's in less than 60 hours, and hitting TN/AL in about 48. Getting close - short range models gonna tell the tale!

So what things (trends) are we looking for from now until the start that will help us all benefit more from this?
Right now to see if the south and east trends continue with the forecast track and if that hard left turn the CMC, Euro, and Icon continues( it looks odd and I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen before). By tonight’s 0z runs, all the pieces of energy should be on shore so data sampling should be as good as it gets. Also with the 0z NAM tonight I’m gonna start paying closer attention to its thermals… even though this still appears to be a very strong and deep CAD, there is going to be a warm nose… the question is what level of the atmosphere is it at and how deep it is

Major ice storm incoming for the Carolinas, that's for sure. How much snow ahead of the ice, then how much will be sleet vs fzrn are the major questions now.
Where do you think the line will setup between a sleet storm and major ice storm with power outages? My guess would be from Troy, NC to West of Durham.

Back