• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

This is just insane the fact that we’re getting such alarmingly clear trends right up close to short range makes me think maybe the models are just latched onto this thing … they will see the big events sometimes and all line up and right now they are all making 1 trend consistently.. if we do get a significant winter storm I will love to see everyone’s reflection on how models handled this system

This is just insane the fact that we’re getting such alarmingly clear trends right up close to short range makes me think maybe the models are just latched onto this thing … they will see the big events sometimes and all line up and right now they are all making 1 trend consistently.. if we do get a significant winter storm I will love to see everyone’s reflection on how models handled this system

Remember it was the GFS that caught onto that early January event before other models and largely stayed true to it. Hopefully the same here.?

I wonder if the models even have a clue in ratio’s yet. My guess is the models could even be downplaying accumulations a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can see how flatter the system looks now on the EPS due to perhaps some energy issues/more suppression from the 50/50 low, I don’t care though I’d rather have the cold and flat issues then have the marginal and amped issues
It’s a whole lot more likely for a wave to sharpen up near go time than it is for it to go flat, so I agree

Odds are we get a more amped wave. How many times have we gotten a more amped wave near verification that causes a dreaded warm nose? Well even with a amped wave in the final hours, it’s so cold I highly doubt we will be dealing with mixing issues, at least up towards the 85 corridor like the usual dividing line

This is going to sound like a big ole weenie statement but this might be one of the EXTREMELY rare times where models might be running too low on totals. Ratios with temps well into the 20’s for the entire column is going to run around 15:1 to 20:1. Models are spitting out 0.75-1” QPF totals. I think the potential to bust high on potential snow totals is really high. But that is completely based on how things are looking right now.

This is going to sound like a big ole weenie statement but this might be one of the EXTREMELY rare times where models might be running too low on totals. Ratios with temps well into the 20’s for the entire column is going to run around 15:1 to 20:1. Models are spitting out 0.75-1” QPF totals. I think the potential to bust high on potential snow totals is really high. But that is completely based on how things are looking right now.
Should get a better fix on that when NAM get's in it's realistic range

Not too sure on that. More often it’s cold and more dry vs more snow.

When does everyone think the NWS will update the temps for this weekend? It looks regardless to how the snow plays out it will be colder than advertised currently.

Back