• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Even if unfavorable pac persisted into Feb, if we were to get strong blocking in Feb that could be enough. But, we would need a strong wbNAO.

Pushing 70 for 3 straight days in ATL next week. The early blooms are coming. Can’t be good for the peach crop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pushing 70 for 3 straight days in ATL next week. The early blooms are coming. Can’t be good for the peach crop.

It would be crazy if Atlanta doesn't have another freeze. I wonder if Atlanta has ever gone all of January and February without a freeze.

It would be crazy if Atlanta doesn't have another freeze. I wonder if Atlanta has ever gone all of January and February without a freeze.

We will get a freeze if we get a clear night. One of those days where it’s 60 during the day and 30 at night

The GFS look at 10 days I like and I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a potential snow/ice threat showing up soon. The Euro and now the GFS are both dropping a 1045+ HP into the Midwest. This setup looks good for a nice ice storm/CAD event if we can get a southern stream wave timed at the right time.
1546535292870.png
Here's the Euro showing the 1050mb HP dropping down.
1546535339195.png

The GFS look at 10 days I like and I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a potential snow/ice threat showing up soon. The Euro and now the GFS are both dropping a 1045+ HP into the Midwest. This setup looks good for a nice ice storm/CAD event if we can get a southern stream wave timed at the right time.
View attachment 9944
Here's the Euro showing the 1050mb HP dropping down.
View attachment 9945

There’s literally light at the end of the tunnel and people are punting winter on January 2nd, yikes.

It would also be crazy if it never got up to 85 all of next summer in ATL. But that won't happen. Neither will no freeze the rest of the winter. Everybody breath. It is obviously going to take AT LEAST a week or two longer than we expected/wanted for it to turn colder. And, next week may be warmer that we would desire, but the pattern will change. More winter weather will return. How harsh and how long it lasts will be subject for good discussion.

There’s literally light at the end of the tunnel and people are punting winter on January 2nd, yikes.

This happens every winter, people get impatient for snow/ice and if it's the first week of January with no snow in sight we get the winter cancel posts. The expectations were set high with the early December snow that some saw on here but that doesn't always translate forward to a cold rest of the month. In fact that storm came right as our pattern was transitioning to a warmer one that we are still stuck in. I see signs on models of a change that starts January 10th and will gradually shift us into a better pattern by mid-January. Right now modeling is back and forth on that idea but I think as we get a bit closer people will see ensembles and OP runs shifting a bit colder.

Does that tunnel have railroad tracks coming through it by any small chance ... ? ...
As I’m entering the tunnel I see a three car pile up at the other end. I can’t see any light but I can make out the writing on the side of one of the trucks. Joe’s Bath Repair Service

It would also be crazy if it never got up to 85 all of next summer in ATL. But that won't happen. Neither will no freeze the rest of the winter. Everybody breath. It is obviously going to take AT LEAST a week or two longer than we expected/wanted for it to turn colder. And, next week may be warmer that we would desire, but the pattern will change. More winter weather will return. How harsh and how long it lasts will be subject for good discussion.
Oh come on now. Atlanta is in the DEEP south. Of course they will have temps above 85. But being so far south. cold is NEVER guaranteed.

Back