• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

to me we have about a 7-10 day timeframe here. Maybe 14 if we can get lucky with the mechanics. I think we have a good chance to score here, especially along and west of the Mississippi and the CAD regions, but I fear specifically for us in the western Carolina’s that it will be ice. Miller A’s just don’t happen anymore. We almost always rely on overrunning or Miller B’s and that tends to be ice or luckily some front end FGEN driven stuff. Or getting an ULL to track perfectly for us for snow. Who knows, I have faith we will get something, just worried it’s going to come in the form of sleet and ZR.
I agree with that. We have been lucky since 2005 with ice but I can see that coming to an end. I had rather have sleet than ice any day.

Yeah… I don’t really know how he can speak in absolute about that when a year ago at this time there was 3 straight weekends with at least an inch of snow. As rough as this snow drought has been the last few years, it’s nothing compared to how bad the early to mid 90s were
"...Snow Days Are Probably Gone"? Really now. That's not what is actually happening. You have to love click bait headlines. Disappointed in the Charlotte Magazine.

Last edited:
I agree with that. We have been lucky since 2005 with ice but I can see that coming to an end. I had rather have sleet than ice any day.
For those of us that went through all the ice storms of the 90s and early 2000s, the fact that the southern NC Piedmont and SC Upstate hasn’t had a widespread major ZR (.25” or greater ice accrual) since December 2005 storm really is astounding. The interesting thing is that we haven’t missed out on them because of being too warm either. Basically all of the times that it looked like we would deal with a major ZR event, things have trended colder in the last 24 hours to give us predominantly sleet instead.

The graph data is certainly valid and we take data sets in 10yr increments and average the last three. In other words we use the 1990-1999, 2000-2009, and 2010-2019 for average highs & lows for example. We we just recently dropped the 1980-1989. Snow totals have dropped for sure but to headline the snows are probably gone is pure unadulterated balderdash

to me we have about a 7-10 day timeframe here. Maybe 14 if we can get lucky with the mechanics. I think we have a good chance to score here, especially along and west of the Mississippi and the CAD regions, but I fear specifically for us in the western Carolina’s that it will be ice. Miller A’s just don’t happen anymore. We almost always rely on overrunning or Miller B’s and that tends to be ice or luckily some front end FGEN driven stuff. Or getting an ULL to track perfectly for us for snow. Who knows, I have faith we will get something, just worried it’s going to come in the form of sleet and ZR.
Sorry if this was already asked but why don’t Miller A’s happen anymore? I remember as
A kid they happened often but I can’t remember the last time I actually saw one

Sorry if this was already asked but why don’t Miller A’s happen anymore? I remember as
A kid they happened often but I can’t remember the last time I actually saw one
They will happen again. Gulf is the birthplace of classic Miller A/ Nor’easters and those aren’t going anywhere. We’re all overdue.

In reading the article BP didn't really say that just the chances increasing Charlotte will have snowless winter more sooner than later. Doesn't mean "snows probably gone". It's a hook headline and poor journalism
Definitely poor journalism and I hope Brad didn’t agree to the headline. From the article, it sounds like the interview took place around the same time he released his winter outlook.

Regarding the chart depicting the downward trend in annual snowfall, there’s clearly been a lack of “big snow” years the past thirty years or so, compared to previously, but there is also a ton of variability prior to that. If you were to look at 1879-1990, the line would probably have an upward trajectory, even though there were duds in between. I would argue that many of the winters where Charlotte only received a trace of snow could easily be snowless, and I’m pretty confident Raleigh has had snowless winters in the same time periods.

As far as the science behind the article, I’m far from an expert but I’d like to believe the changes in jet configuration are not set in perpetuity, and there will be windows of opportunity, just like we had last winter. All it takes is a couple good years or a couple big dogs to level out that trajectory.

Last edited:
Models have consistently painted a Friday jackpot in the western facing mountains just above Gatlinburg. Clingmans Dome/Newfound gap sitting at just the right angle on this one to wring out all available moisture. It will be interesting to see what happens. Really pulling for the NC ski resorts on this one. They need it.

Models have consistently painted a Friday jackpot in the western facing mountains just above Gatlinburg. Clingmans Dome/Newfound gap sitting at just the right angle on this one to wring out all available moisture. It will be interesting to see what happens. Really pulling for the NC ski resorts on this one. They need it.
Maybe you should have gotten you a cabin at Ober Gatlinburg or Mt leconte

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Maybe you should have gotten you a cabin at Ober Gatlinburg

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
@Parker will be at Ober this weekend. We were at Ober over Christmas break. I haven’t been to Sugar/Beech in nearly 3 years. I grew up skiing there and they always do well with these. I’ve rode out some big flow events on that mountain. Nothing like scaling that mountain and going from partly cloudy skies to puking snow in the blink of an eye. Wild micro climate up there. A lot of fun.

I agree with SD, it will be a gradual step down mode and the finale will be very cold. After that around Feb 5-10th the rubber band snaps and our old friend the SER makes a grand entrance for a while. I believe we have a good chance of seeing some short cold period in March and a very cool April
Good ole JB has been saying this for a while almost word for word. Interesting.

Last edited:
Hit that link and look at the recorded events at GSP since 1879 or so.
What was stunning to me was the lack of big snows & just Snow in the 50's & before all the way back to the late 1800's.
I was under the impression that the western Carolinas & NE GA averaged much more snow before the 60's.
Their was many many years with Trace amounts before AGW.
IMHO there's other things going on than just Climate change.
Cities & population bases are much larger causing more heat islands.

While I know it’s forbidden to look 14 days out it seems that at times colder air looks promising only to see it slowly disappear as we get closer to those dates. I know this is why the 5 day look ahead is better but as is always the case we shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back