• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

I will say, we have a hurdle, NA is flooded with mild pacific air, getting it out would indeed take time, and snow cover is very poor, what helps is we’re in peak climo, but vs any other time, that +PNA comes with a challenge of how conditions were before hand. Have to at least have it stick around for some legitimate cold to enter in, but it’s not a bad look. -4 anoms isn’t terrible in late jan
Imo it's a step down into cold versus the arctic door flying open. Best we could hope for is initial front to cool us back to just above normal, 2nd front brings us BN, 3rd system delivers the frigid stuff.

Imo it's a step down into cold versus the arctic door flying open. Best we could hope for is initial front to cool us back to just above normal, 2nd front brings us BN, 3rd system delivers the frigid stuff.
Wouldn’t even mind not getting into the frigid territory slightly below normal in peak climo doesn’t scare the storms away and will still deliver for winter precip

Wouldn’t even mind not getting into the frigid territory slightly below normal in peak climo doesn’t scare the storms away and will still deliver for winter precip
Chances are we don't and the super cold stuff ends up in the plains and western SE as we get into Feb. If I lived in LA, MS, AL, TN or the classic wedge regions of the upstate, NEGA, and western NC I'd be pumped about where this pattern is going. For us I like it but we are a little more touchy imo

This 100%!!! The fact is that we typically don’t score when we have the type of cold we had around Christmas. Every now and then we’ll get lucky with a small wave on the front side or backside of a cold push like that, but typically in the western/central Carolinas and N GA you want to see just a typical mid to late January cold spell

Chances are we don't and the super cold stuff ends up in the plains and western SE as we get into Feb. If I lived in LA, MS, AL, TN or the classic wedge regions of the upstate, NEGA, and western NC I'd be pumped about where this pattern is going. For us I like it but we are a little more touchy imo
Yeah… and I have sneaky suspicion that if something does materialize in that pattern, we in the western/central Carolinas might have a significant ice/sleet storm on our hands

I agree with SD, it will be a gradual step down mode and the finale will be very cold. After that around Feb 5-10th the rubber band snaps and our old friend the SER makes a grand entrance for a while. I believe we have a good chance of seeing some short cold period in March and a very cool April

to me we have about a 7-10 day timeframe here. Maybe 14 if we can get lucky with the mechanics. I think we have a good chance to score here, especially along and west of the Mississippi and the CAD regions, but I fear specifically for us in the western Carolina’s that it will be ice. Miller A’s just don’t happen anymore. We almost always rely on overrunning or Miller B’s and that tends to be ice or luckily some front end FGEN driven stuff. Or getting an ULL to track perfectly for us for snow. Who knows, I have faith we will get something, just worried it’s going to come in the form of sleet and ZR.

I agree with SD, it will be a gradual step down mode and the finale will be very cold. After that around Feb 5-10th the rubber band snaps and our old friend the SER makes a grand entrance for a while. I believe we have a good chance of seeing some short cold period in March and a very cool April
I think it’s going to be very interesting to see what happens further on late in February and into March. I’m certainly convinced that we’ll see at least a couple weeks of very warm weather from the 5th-10th or so and on, possibly every bit as warm as February 2018. However, that year as the Niña was dying, March got quite chilly and there were several close calls for snow in the Carolinas…. I think KCLT recorded a trace of snow on 3 or 4 different days that March.

Last edited:
Continued disagreement with the operational and its ensemble (per usual). Good feeling over the next couple of days we will see a shift on the operational to some fantasy stuff showing up196E7B4C-384C-4A2B-9181-5748946B7ECE.jpeg091EC12B-0808-419C-81E0-DCBC97F39558.jpeg

Charlotte had like 4 snow days in jan 2022 lol
Yeah… I don’t really know how he can speak in absolute about that when a year ago at this time there was 3 straight weekends with at least an inch of snow. As rough as this snow drought has been the last few years, it’s nothing compared to how bad the early to mid 90s were

to me we have about a 7-10 day timeframe here. Maybe 14 if we can get lucky with the mechanics. I think we have a good chance to score here, especially along and west of the Mississippi and the CAD regions, but I fear specifically for us in the western Carolina’s that it will be ice. Miller A’s just don’t happen anymore. We almost always rely on overrunning or Miller B’s and that tends to be ice or luckily some front end FGEN driven stuff. Or getting an ULL to track perfectly for us for snow. Who knows, I have faith we will get something, just worried it’s going to come in the form of sleet and ZR.

I agree about Miller As. I can't think of a time we've had a pure one in the last 10 years. At best they're always a CAD hybrid A/B. I've resigned myself to just appreciate a winter storm when we can get it, no matter the type. And there will always be sleet mixed in, one way or another. Fine by me, with the decent ones we always end up with a front end thump of snow, before the sleet mixes in. If it gets me out of work, sled day with the kids, its a win. Last year's B was fine, 2 inches snow, 2 inches sleet. Don't look close you can't tell the difference. Lol.

Yeah… I don’t really know how he can speak in absolute about that when a year ago at this time there was 3 straight weekends with at least an inch of snow. As rough as this snow drought has been the last few years, it’s nothing compared to how bad the early to mid 90s were
? GSP set a record daily snowfall just last year and suddenly it’s never going to snow again in Charlotte. This stuff is so tiresome

I agree about Miller As. I can't think of a time we've had a pure one in the last 10 years. At best they're always a CAD hybrid A/B. I've resigned myself to just appreciate a winter storm when we can get it, no matter the type. And there will always be sleet mixed in, one way or another. Fine by me, with the decent ones we always end up with a front end thump of snow, before the sleet mixes in. If it gets me out of work, sled day with the kids, its a win. Last year's B was fine, 2 inches snow, 2 inches sleet. Don't look close you can't tell the difference. Lol.
We’ve had some Miller A storms in the last few years, but they haven’t worked out in a way that we traditionally think of a Miller A working out for the Piedmont. If you look at the early January 2018 coastal storm, the airmass back this way was just too dominated by Arctic air to allow for any moisture. January 2017 was just too amped for a lot of us and that warm nose killed off what could have been a complete dumping for the NC southern Piedmont and SC upstate… this is IMO is why Miller A’s might be problematic for us while SSTs off the southeast coast remain above average during the winter months.

Yeah… and I have sneaky suspicion that if something does materialize in that pattern, we in the western/central Carolinas might have a significant ice/sleet storm on our hands
We are LONG overdue for a major icestorm in the CAD regions of GA and the Carolinas. Speaking of frigid air, if we got a major ice event on the back end of one of those air masses we could really be in trouble unless we got sleet. ZR with 20-25 temps and frozen ground would cripple us. All of it would accumulate and roads would be sheets of ice.

Back