• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

GFS has some snow in northern NC

gfs_asnow_us_51.png

Word from JB-
January 3, 2022

I'm in a State of Confusion by the disagreement between each model's MJO and surface temperature forecasts.

Originally our idea for January was that the warm MJO signals would bring the end of winter after the colder start. The years 1951,1990, and 2006 served as analogs for this.
The analogs above are very close to the recent CFSv2 forecasts:
When I saw that the MJO is in fact staying away from the warm phases, I realized the premise was incorrect. This is why I believe the pattern will cool down significantly after the first ten days.
As I said though, the confusing part is that models' MJO forecasts are becoming stronger into cold phases, while their United States temperature forecasts continue to be warm.
All these forecasts bring us to Phase 8 by Week 2, which is a strong indicator for cold, yet surface temperature forecasts are still extremely warm.

My take is that the pattern will shift to cold, as ridging breaks down over the Eastern United States and the ridge sets up back over Western Canada. I simply don't see how we can see a warm pattern with such a strong cold signal in the MJO.

But for now either me or the models are in a State of confusion
I personally put more weight into the MJO than anything else when it comes to cold. We shall see.

Teleconnections are awful after mid month. NAO remains positive. AO goes toward positive and PNA heads toward negative.
Spin it however you will the MJO is all that's good..can it win out or do we blow phase 8 like we blew the -NAO?
ATTACH=full]129289[/ATTACH]View attachment 129290View attachment 129291View attachment 129292

The MJO is only lessening the amount of warmth we actually could be seeing if it wasn’t in the western hemisphere right now. Not a good sign when it comes around the Maritime Continent in Feb

And they say people in the south overreact and can’t drive in those conditions ?
Lol! They shut down the main road through Iowa around me. HWY 20
The problem is everybody thinks they are experts cause they lived up here their whole life! But ice is always trouble anywhere! Currently 31, drizzle! They have delayed and closed a lot of schools due to this!

Back