• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Irma Banter

This photo was from Robert Guariano. He is breaking out the classic wired wall phone due to the expected power outages. Old technology still comes in handy.

And also, welcome to the banter threat! Lol.
cb43350ae016a3f2717398b6f9ba3b52.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

This photo was from Robert Guariano. He is breaking out the classic wired wall phone due to the expected power outages. Old technology still comes in handy.

And also, welcome to the banter threat! Lol.
cb43350ae016a3f2717398b6f9ba3b52.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
Geez, thanks for that. When I was 10 we got our first touch tone wall phone, actually our first wall phone. (FYI wall hung rotary phones sucked). Thanks.:mad:
Good God I'm a dinosaur

Geez, thanks for that. When I was 10 we got our first touch tone wall phone, actually our first wall phone. (FYI wall hung rotary phones sucked). Thanks.:mad:
Good God I'm a dinosaur
Who knows tropical and winter and music ... welcome to the show!

Spin has begun

ALABAMA: We will be on the “good” west side of Irma, and there is no tornado risk anywhere in the state. The tornado threat is to the east on the “bad” east side of the circulation over Georgia and the Carolinas.

But, even on the “good side” it will become very windy Monday, Monday night, and Tuesday. Highest wind will be over the eastern third of the state. A tropical storm watch has been issued for Southeast Alabama…

Spin has begun

ALABAMA: We will be on the “good” west side of Irma, and there is no tornado risk anywhere in the state. The tornado threat is to the east on the “bad” east side of the circulation over Georgia and the Carolinas.

But, even on the “good side” it will become very windy Monday, Monday night, and Tuesday. Highest wind will be over the eastern third of the state. A tropical storm watch has been issued for Southeast Alabama…
I expect his views to change by Monday to "We are going to have widespread heavy rainfall and severe weather here too as well as some gusty winds." Unless he is seriously living off the Glenn Burns model lol.

The Hotline (and hand crank radio, lantern, etc.) in my storm shelter:
Mine is green (aqua marine I think is the technical term - took it from my folks' house years ago; and I have a rotary dial up that somehow still works - from my grandparents'!)

The only question I would ask you "bashers" is what would you have been telling the public the past week. The Official NHC Track has changed often and considerably. When he was saying the things he is being bashed for, he was basing it on their track. Hell, you guys have been changing your tunes and "opinions" four and five times a day. I love this board for the knowledge, wit, humor and usual welcoming attitudes. But the pompous bashing of a true professional has diminished my desire to be more involved. This on the heels of becoming a "contributor" for the reasons mentioned above. I will go back to reading only the posts that look informative and remain silent.

Spann did a very poor job of expressing the uncertainty of Irma's track. He had some training or a meeting lately and they told him to dumb everything down for the general public. It shows. So, forget probabilities and uncertainties. His job is to reassure the idiots that constantly ask: Can I drive from X place to Y place at 2:37PM? He didn't want to say its a 95% chance that Alabama won't be impacted and then update his probability as the new forecasts shifted west over several days. Why? Because he didn't want the hassle the general public bring.

It is no longer about giving a skilled forecast with nuance. For the general public it's either you got it 100% right or 100% wrong. If you were 5% off you are WRONG to them. They'll never be happy. Spann is far from the best technical met, but the reason so many of us used to like him was that he was good at his job and didn't make things too complicated or too simple. The past 4-5 years he has been obsessed with making a forecast and sticking to it no matter what contrary evidence came up later. This shift to "good side/bad side" is ridiculous. The average dimwit that cannot understand margin of error and the NHC cone isn't going to comprehend good or bad sides either.

Mets should relay warnings and the forecast to the best of their ability. If you want to be a social scientist that is focused on motivating the stupidest people in your DMA to prepare/protect themselves then go right ahead. But, know that you are essentially becoming the Patron Saint of Lost Causes.

If Spann hadn't become so arrogant that he believes he's got to give personal "IT'S GON RAIN" forecasts to every mouth-breather in Talladega, or they will drown in an inch of water, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. You want the fame and adulation? Then you get to deal with R.J. Smuckins Jr. from Sumiton.

I wish I could LOVE this post above mine. I used to really love Spann and still do to a certain degree, especially when it comes to tornadoes and severe weather. However, I have noticed recently he does in fact do what the above poster mentioned. Have you guys ever read the comments on his posts on FB? Some people are literally clueless and will ask questions that are...for lack of a better term...DUMB! My problem with him is that several days ago it was like it was written in stone, according to him, that Alabama would have zero effects from Irma. I know he was looking at ALL of the models and saw that they were all over the place...they kept ticking further west, yet he still almost guaranteed that Alabama would have zero impact. That was baffling, and imho slightly irresponsible on his part, seeing as so many people do take his word as the gospel when it comes to Alabama weather.

My other problem with him is that being from East Alabama, I feel that he neglects this part of Alabama, when in fact we are in his coverage area. If it doesn't have something to do with West Alabama or Bham, not much focus is there.

Point in case, this morning there was a blog post made AFTER the TS watch was issued for East Alabama. He made zero mention of it. It's just frustrating when this is our TV met for our area.

is the 15 foot storm surge fox is HYPING possible at this time with irma overland? they just claimed naples is bracing for a 15 foot wall of water.

is the 15 foot storm surge fox is HYPING possible at this time with irma overland? they just claimed naples is bracing for a 15 foot wall of water.
It's not Fox hyping it, it is everyone and the NWS as they issued the product that said it. If this storm can pull water out of Tampa Bay and Mobile Bay to some extent, it can throw it back onto land.

surge possible
- Peak Storm Surge Inundation: The potential for 11-15 feet
above ground somewhere within surge prone areas
- Window of concern: through early Monday evening

Spann did a very poor job of expressing the uncertainty of Irma's track. He had some training or a meeting lately and they told him to dumb everything down for the general public. It shows. So, forget probabilities and uncertainties. His job is to reassure the idiots that constantly ask: Can I drive from X place to Y place at 2:37PM? He didn't want to say its a 95% chance that Alabama won't be impacted and then update his probability as the new forecasts shifted west over several days. Why? Because he didn't want the hassle the general public bring.

It is no longer about giving a skilled forecast with nuance. For the general public it's either you got it 100% right or 100% wrong. If you were 5% off you are WRONG to them. They'll never be happy. Spann is far from the best technical met, but the reason so many of us used to like him was that he was good at his job and didn't make things too complicated or too simple. The past 4-5 years he has been obsessed with making a forecast and sticking to it no matter what contrary evidence came up later. This shift to "good side/bad side" is ridiculous. The average dimwit that cannot understand margin of error and the NHC cone isn't going to comprehend good or bad sides either.

Mets should relay warnings and the forecast to the best of their ability. If you want to be a social scientist that is focused on motivating the stupidest people in your DMA to prepare/protect themselves then go right ahead. But, know that you are essentially becoming the Patron Saint of Lost Causes.

If Spann hadn't become so arrogant that he believes he's got to give personal "IT'S GON RAIN" forecasts to every mouth-breather in Talladega, or they will drown in an inch of water, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. You want the fame and adulation? Then you get to deal with R.J. Smuckins Jr. from Sumiton.
WHOA. WHAT? I live 1 mile from that place which you speak. lol

WAIT! from WHERE? I live there and know Mr. Smuckins............... Actually I live in Dora. I am Sumitons neighbor. lol

my question was valid and now shown to be correct.....NO storm surge in naples where the 15 feet was predicted......and NOTHING significant being seen anywhere on the west coast of florida........the physics of a storm surge simple NEVER supported the claim of 15 feet for anywhere in floridas west coast......at the time those claims were made tonight it was EXTREME "hype".

Back