• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Irma Banter

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/09/10/hurricane-irma-weather-channel-van-almost-floats-away-miami <smh lol

"I guess they know what they're doing, they're the Weather Channel":rolleyes:

One of their reporters got blown over earlier today. He was fine, but still.

Somebody will be killed on live TV one day; thought Bettes leaned his lesson when he was in the Van that flipped during the tornado chase back in 2013; guess it just really scrambled what's left of his brains even more.

my question was valid and now shown to be correct.....NO storm surge in naples where the 15 feet was predicted......and NOTHING significant being seen anywhere on the west coast of florida........the physics of a storm surge simple NEVER supported the claim of 15 feet for anywhere in floridas west coast......at the time those claims were made tonight it was EXTREME "hype".

No hype, there were still storm surge warnings. The collapsing back end of Irma is what saved the West Coast of Florida from horrific surge; they still got some but nothing like what it could've been. Look at the East Coast for an example of just how bad it could've been.

nowhere in florida got even half of the lowest end of the projections.....the claims of a widespread 15 foot wall of water hitting were 100% HYPE.

Hated seeing St. Augustine flood again, I had an enjoyable trip there last summer (really last May but that's basically summer tbh).

Really glad they closed schools all around the B'ham area today, it's only 60 with a heavy mist and gust to 10 mph. The kids would have been in real danger. I guess being on the "good side" isn't so bad.

Seriously, my heart, money, and this weekend, time, is going out to those in who were impacted by Irma. My church has a ministry to help after disasters and I will be traveling to GA this weekend to help with clean-up and debris disposal. Hope all on this amazing board are ok and returning to normal.

Really glad they closed schools all around the B'ham area today, it's only 60 with a heavy mist and gust to 10 mph. The kids would have been in real danger. I guess being on the "good side" isn't so bad.

Seriously, my heart, money, and this weekend, time, is going out to those in who were impacted by Irma. My church has a ministry to help after disasters and I will be traveling to GA this weekend to help with clean-up and debris disposal. Hope all on this amazing board are ok and returning to normal.
Kudos!

nowhere in florida got even half of the lowest end of the projections.....the claims of a widespread 15 foot wall of water hitting were 100% HYPE.
I don't think you understand what a storm surge is. A storm surge is progressive, not a tsunami that just hits instantly like in the movies. They said there was still 10 feet in places. Also, the surge was a record in Jacksonville area, and it was second highest yesterday morning in Charleston. Just because one area got less than expected doesn't mean that it was a bust. It goes back on the "A category 4 is better than a category 5" mentality. Both are extremely horrible to have. It was still a major disaster down in Florida.

I don't think you understand what a storm surge is. A storm surge is progressive, not a tsunami that just hits instantly like in the movies. They said there was still 10 feet in places. Also, the surge was a record in Jacksonville area, and it was second highest yesterday morning in Charleston. Just because one area got less than expected doesn't mean that it was a bust. It goes back on the "A category 4 is better than a category 5" mentality. Both are extremely horrible to have. It was still a major disaster down in Florida.
IMHO what Jax saw was a bust - it busted JAX ... :(

I've wanted to respond all day, but this is my first chance... Unfortunately (or fortunately?) your earlier banter posts were deleted by a mod or more likely you deleted them yourself. But I saw them and what you stated as an explanation of "exactly what a storm surge was and the only way out occurs" was so off base. See Forsyth's post above and call a friend in Jacksonville or Charleston for more details. Regardless, if you are frequenting a weather board, you KNOW this storm was one of the most unpredictable most of us have seen. Friendly discussion of wrong info is great, but you were over the top and those comments could cause site visitors to doubt future warnings. But hey, if you know enough, go get a job at the NHC or NWS and show us how you can do better. *rant over* :)

the nature of the replies is very offensive attacking my basic intelligence...........personal comments and really NO dispute of the points i made.....i didnt delete anything i wrote some mod deleted my posts that broke no rules here and i find my using caps on one word to be called shouting very strange......i am too old to work for any weather service.......i hope to be able to read here and will self limit my posting.......

What in the hell happened in that nursing home in Hollywood, FL? How could the staff allow those residents to suffocate in the sweltering heat without notifying authorities that they were without power/AC? There is a hospital right across the street that could have taken them in. Very scary for anyone who has a loved one in a nursing facility. We all may be in one ourselves one day.

Back