• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Zeta

Here we go.

Zeta Local Watch/Warning Statement/Advisory Number 11
National Weather Service Birmingham AL AL282020
411 AM CDT Tue Oct 27 2020

ALZ036-271715-
/O.NEW.KBMX.TR.A.1028.201027T0911Z-000000T0000Z/
Coosa-
411 AM CDT Tue Oct 27 2020

...TROPICAL STORM WATCH IN EFFECT...

A Tropical Storm Watch means tropical storm-force winds are possible
somewhere within this area within the next 48 hours

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED
- Rockford

* WIND
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Tropical Storm force wind
- Peak Wind Forecast: 30-40 mph with gusts to 50 mph
- Window for Tropical Storm force winds: Wednesday evening
until Thursday morning

- THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY THAT INCLUDES TYPICAL FORECAST
UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for wind 58
to 73 mph
- PLAN: Plan for dangerous wind of equivalent strong tropical
storm force.
- PREPARE: Efforts to protect life and property should now be
underway. Prepare for significant wind damage.
- ACT: Act now to complete preparations before the wind
becomes hazardous.

Will this system send a squall line through the Carolinas as it rides up central TN?
The latest forecast track from the NHC actually has the center moving NE out of AL over north GA and basically right over the NC mountains. If it follows most Gulf TCs then there should be a line of heavy thunderstorms to the east and southeast of that center. Also by this point the storm could be getting infused with energy from the trough diving making it more extra tropical.

Still some pretty significant timing differences between the EURO/UKMET camp and the GFS. With that being said I’d probably bet on a corridor of 50-60mph gusts moving up the 85 corridor into the Atlanta metro area barring a change in track.

d19ea4a75b16efe8879aebc070d15f90.jpg

That wind field is really expansive and south east of the center not right at the center. Still without being that close to the center Georgia and western Carolinas look windy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d19ea4a75b16efe8879aebc070d15f90.jpg

That wind field is really expansive and south east of the center not right at the center. Still without being that close to the center Georgia and western Carolinas look windy

Well keep in mind that the center at that point is actually over northern GA/ se TN, so it’s still fairly close by. Also you can see the jet stream starting to dive into the sw of Zeta’s center... which is converting it to extra tropical which in turn should expand the wind field to the east of southeast

IMO to put into perspective the overall "feel" of Zeta is looking to be more in line with the impacts of Opal, rather than Irma for the Atlanta Metro. the path will of course be more SW to NE but Opal was a fast mover once landfall came and the wind impacts were both shorter term (6-8 hour) but much more "focused" to the right of center. As of know my call would be roughly 75 miles either side of I 85 to be the "hot spot" for wind damage

I’d say if you’re with in 75 miles of I-85 through AL, GA, and the Carolina’s (probably not quite 75 miles in the Carolinas, I’d say 40 or so) you’re going to be looking at some substantial tree damage. I don’t think the Carolinas miss out due to the trough interaction, that should keep things quite gusty especially along 85.

Back