• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Lee

I notice those ukmet tracks are coming further north as their intensity guidance goes up...

the straggler ensemble members that are far west are probably wrong on the intensity of the storm

I notice those ukmet tracks are coming further north as their intensity guidance goes up...

the straggler ensemble members that are far west are probably wrong on the intensity of the storm
true,but if you look at 5h across can/us border, even back into sw us, energy is different looking. May,may not mean anything. Little wrinkles add up 5 days plus out. Lot of pieces to the jiggsaw puzzle before we get final picture. Could as easily wind up more east verse more west for all we know.

and none of those were right on how far south it would go

The biggest issue here is while models may be better they still have the same issues with resolving the speed and strength of waves in the northern stream they had several years ago. If that wave over the SE on the Euro slows and shifts west, which happens nearly every time; the effects of track could be enormous. That all said, a phantom under modeled wave out of the north could do the same in the other direction.

Irma(and Florence even...) also dove south of the track a lot which is something to watch for.. so far Lee hasn't but it's so far out still. I still lean heavily on the recurve side(I mean for starters I have highs in the 70s next week... A total pattern change from the last month) but we are talking day 9-10 and errors can be large

I would definitely wait to see more runs to see if the west trends continue because it could easily flip back east by morning

Last edited:
Holy moly…. Some differences obviously, but too close for comfort. How far north Lee gets may have huge implications.

Edit: Orientation of the northern trough will be a big factor as well. The more negative tilt means greater ridge pump.

1694054277823.gif

1694054248216.png

Last edited:
About 30 miles south of 18z on ICON

icon_mslp_pcpn_watl_30.png

Back