• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Laura (Post Landfall & Inland Effects)

Those wind maps are most definitely overdone. If the severe threat verifies I can foresee some isolated gusts up to 60 or so, but I highly doubt this will be a widespread sustained wind event outside of localized areas.

That east turn is what will decide what certain places see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So basically you have the NAM/GFS which is more strung out with the energy vs the euro which is way more consolidated, either way you get severe but the euro would suggest quite a damaging wind threat with storms 0F3702A3-E6D1-4573-B6E8-859A5463D2D6.jpegCFE7A220-2BD2-476E-9393-730DEEB14A44.pngB960F8DB-C0B1-4201-AFDF-41A951598EE7.png

Typically I wouldn’t go with the worst case scenario but it has been on the euro for quiet a few days now. And that’s what NWS Blacksburg is preferring to use.

For now, 1-3” rain near Elkin NC and west and gusts to 40 since it’s 3 days out. If euro holds, then isolated 3-6” gusts to 60 with isolated tornadoes needs to be addressed to the public.

Euro has a big area of 30-40kt 925s at 18z Saturday, we should do a pretty decent job at mixing those down with typical afternoon mixing. If we do get a well developed line of storms 850s are in the 50-60kt range and it wouldn't take a lot of effort to force that down. It'll be interesting to see if this does occur if it basically turns into a MCS look crossing the area with an outflow boundary 20-30 miles ahead of the main band of convection and a well developed cool pool with stratiform rain behind it. If that happens the forward progressing OFB might be very impressive as far as wind speed

ML Cape is so crappy

Yeah, very skinny, but the forcing would probably get low topped stuff ( stuff under 30kft) going, though nothing would probably reach its EL here, sounding is just so tropical

Most have them pretty much centered over NC and even some down in SC. I wouldn't be surprised to see some wind gusts in excess of 40mph. Especially with any showers. If we can get some storms going though, we could be easily seeing gusts over 60. I have my doubts that winds will be all that crazy non-thunderstorm wise. But I could be wrong.

Most have them pretty much centered over NC and even some down in SC. I wouldn't be surprised to see some wind gusts in excess of 40mph. Especially with any showers. If we can get some storms going though, we could be easily seeing gusts over 60. I have my doubts that winds will be all that crazy non-thunderstorm wise. But I could be wrong.
I seem to remember a couple years ago that the strongest winds with Michael across NC was as dryer air was pulling into the storm on the backside. Is that something we could see here. I find it interesting that models drop the pressure lower after its passes the the Ohio Valley, but it’s still on land

Back