• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

Recon finding the center maybe south of 14 north. Close to where gfs initialize

12z Euro initialized the system about where the 12z GFS did. Question is if the Euro will yank it SW as much as the GFS did in future frames

Hopefully the Euro and Canadian models are right about precip. The GFS dry slots many of us and I'm afraid it may be right with the dry air wrapping around. It's a shame that the 70 degree dewpoints are long gone with this system possibly coming in. If this does miss, it'll be another 2+ weeks before we get another shot at any real rain.
The GFS is having its normal convective feedback issues which is normal this far out. The fact is it’s showing a firehouse of moisture coming in over the top of a CAD… we all know that’s a recipe for heavy rainfall

The chart conveys an overinflated degree of confidence with this storm in both track and intensity. There’s nothing here beneficial to the public that the NHC cone doesn’t bring. Nothing about this feels like a good faith effort to inform the public and instead just feels like clickbait. Charts like this give mets a bad name in my opinion and damage credibility. You’re technically not wrong but just because it could happen doesn’t mean it should be published
I do think this chart is hyperbole and I see your point. The real problem with charts like this is that many people who know little or nothing about the weather take forecasts like this as gospel rather than looking at other data and sources to make decisions. The NWS should be the first source that the public should go to for details on possible impacts from an approaching tropical system of any type.

HWRF and HMON shifting west, at same position, but not as far west as GFS.
HMON shredded on approach.
But....
HWRF at 955.....hope that doesn't verify.

hwrf_ref_09L_42.png

hmon_ref_09L_42.png

Trend of the day has been further west with Ian. We have seen the track of tropical systems change just 24 hours from landfall, so not surprising to see this.

HWRF and HMON shifting west, at same position, but not as far west as GFS.
HMON shredded on approach.
But....
HWRF at 955.....hope that doesn't verify.

View attachment 121960

View attachment 121961
Will be some pretty impressive inland flooding and storm surge in the eastern panhandle if the HWRF OR HMON are correct. Honestly this would be devastating for this area as Michael ravaged this area a few years ago. michael_track_finalbesttrack.png

Back