• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Ian

Has there ever been a CAD during a TC before? Because that seems new lol

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

And if the models keep shifting it further west, that would mean more time in the Gulf and more time to strengthen before landfall.
If the west trend continues, it would actually weaken before landfall in the northern Gulf. There is strong wind shear in the northern Gulf that would weaken Ian.

And if the models keep shifting it further west, that would mean more time in the Gulf and more time to strengthen before landfall.
It’s not going to strengthen with more time in the Gulf. Whether this were to come in near the Big Bend or even back towards Mobile, the environment is not going to be conducive for the strengthening once it goes a certain point north. This will likely be down to at most a borderline cat 1-2 on near the Florida panhandle

To my point, View attachment 121963
We need this pin pointed and locked down before we say which model has a better handle on things.. that’s 3 low level centers competing..
Great point. And as we have (others on here) gfs is picking up on a different vote and taking off with it. Competing centers will not do this any favors right now for track and strength

Has there ever been a CAD during a TC before? Because that seems new lol

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
I mentioned this yesterday, but got the name wrong. Kate in 1985 hit the Florida panhandle and moved inland over GA and the eastern Carolinas before emerging in the Atlantic off the NC coast. There was a CAD in place out ahead with temperatures mainly in 50s and even some upper 40s in the CAD areas. That was in November however and only a few days before Thanksgiving

It’s not going to strengthen with more time in the Gulf. Whether this were to come in near the Big Bend or even back towards Mobile, the environment is not going to be conducive for the strengthening once it goes a certain point north. This will likely be down to at most a borderline cat 1-2 on near the Florida panhandle
What always surprises me is how quick hurricanes in the past 5 years have bombed out in very short time. Always different conditions but if some models are pointing a possibility of something strong I find it a good idea to watch, so many southern snow events have followed outlier model forecasts so everything bears watching if it's mentioned at least to me. Just my opinion though

No this would more than likely lead to more of a chance that shear and dry air gets entrained weakening the storm considerably before a landfall on the gulf coast

I mentioned this yesterday, but got the name wrong. Kate in 1985 hit the Florida panhandle and moved inland over GA and the eastern Carolinas before emerging in the Atlantic off the NC coast. There was a CAD in place out ahead with temperatures mainly in 50s and even some upper 40s in the CAD areas. That was in November however and only a few days before Thanksgiving
I actually remember Kate in 1985. The air mass was cool, stable but as Kate pulled in, the air immediately went muggy, warm, humid and with Kate's right side, things got really dicey for an hour or two with very strong winds and torrential rains. Was in middle school at that time.

What always surprises me is how quick hurricanes in the past 5 years have bombed out in very short time. Always different conditions but if some models are pointing a possibility of something strong I find it a good idea to watch, so many southern snow events have followed outlier model forecasts so everything bears watching if it's mentioned at least to me. Just my opinion though
Yeah that’s somewhat a concern in the back of my mind as well. Overall I expect a steady weakening as the model guidance suggests, but I never feel confident or absolute in an intensity forecast vs a track forecast. Even now we have decent confidence in Ian being a FL hit its just a matter of where in FL it happens. My concern is we don’t know what Ian’s peak (strength) will be until it happens in real time. NHC is peaking Ian at a Cat. 3, however it’s not impossible Ian could peak as high as a 4/5 instead of dealing with a weakening Cat 1/2, you could be dealing with a weakening Cat. 2/3. Intensity forecasts can be very complex and challenging since not every tropical system reacts or behaves the same way in the same environment/conditions every time.

Opal was a Cat 5 i believe and weakened to a Cat 3 at landfall. Could this be similar to Opal ?

NHC still has it as a major hurricane at landfall.

Back